How Long Does It Take to See Full Fraxel Repair Results?

I'm 53 years old and I had an above average amount of wrinkles and sun damage on my face. I had the repair done on June 14th, 08. After healing I thought I noticed some improvement, (less noticeable fine lines and uneven pigment). It now seems to be going back to the way it was previous to the treatment. It's been 2 and a half months. Is there still improvement to come? I'm very discouraged. I had high hopes and it was a huge expenditure for me.

Full Benefits of Fraxel re:pair Laser Treatment

+4

Hi TJ,

You should see the full benefits of Fraxel repair within 4 to 6 months after your treatment. There is some variation on how individual patients respond even to the same energy and density settings.

In my practice I strive to get the best results possible for my patients while maintaining a high safety profile. In some patients this may translate to a less aggressive treatment. In other patients who are treated aggressively and who are not satisfied with their results, I offer to retreat them at the minimal cost of the disposables used during the treatment (~$500) as they have made an investment in their initial treatment.

In your case, give it a couple of more months. If you are not satisfied, speak with your physician about a second, possibly more aggressive treatment at a "cost" fee. After all, we should strive for the best possible results and happy patients after Fraxel re:pair treatment. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

It all depends on the settings that were used

+2

Fraxel re:pair is a very good procedure when done at high energies, but if it is done at low energies it can be nearly useless. It's important to make sure that the physician doing it knows you want to have the highest energies possible (naturally that are safe!), because some physicians may try to do less in order to decrease recovery time and that will mean that your results don't last as long and are less impressive.

You probably are seeing the final results at 3 to 6 months. While there may be some very minor improvements as the collagen regrows at about 6 months, this isn't going to make or break the results. I always recommend using the Obagi program as well in conjunction with it as that really boosts the results as well.

Omaha Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.