Can Fraxel Laser Be Performed on the Skin with Rosacea?

I have rosacea for few years but controlled with ipl and some topical creams. Now i started having tired skin with wrinkles around eyes. Btw i did eyebag surgery from inside three years back that also resulted loose skin. I'm seriously thinking of doing fraxel restore will it be appropriate for my kind of skin???

Fraxel ReStore attacks wrinkles AND rosacea

+2

While ablative laser peels sometimes promote redness in the skin, nonablative laser treatments tend to blunt it.  Fraxel ReStore is a nonablative (does not vaporize or leave a raw surface) fractional laser that gives a no down-time treatment for light to moderate wrinkles.  At the same time, pigment and redness from things like broken blood vessels and rosacea will tend to decrease.  If the main goal is reducing pigment or redness, IPL is quicker but the overall effect of Fraxel is to address, to some degree, all of these aging changes.

Fraxel laser is very safe and highly effective and can be performed on skin with Rosacea

+1
Fraxel laser will have little or no effect on your Rosacea.  To treat rosacea, it is best to have several V-Beam laser treatments.  It is still the gold standard laser to treat rosacea.
If your concern is tired skin with wrinkles around eyes than a combination of Botox and Thermage and Fraxel may be the best combination but it depends on the way that you are aging.

Michele S. Green, MD

Fraxel can be preformed on patients with Rosacea

+1

Fraxel re:store treatment can be used on patients with rosacea.  Fraxel re:store treates fine lines/wrinkles and can also improve redness in your skin. If your rosacea flares after your fraxel treatment, your treating physician can treat your rosacea with oral antibiotics.

Samantha Toerge, MD
Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser

+1

Fractional CO2 is fine, even with Rosacea in most cases.  First be evaluated with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Board Certified Dermatologist.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

V-beam Laser for Rosacea

+1

I actually recommend the V-beam laser for Rosacea. Here is the reason why. Every laser system produces a different wavelength that accomplishes different objectives. The wavelengths need to enter the skin through a chromophore target. For some procedures, the melanin absorbs laser light. For vascular issues like Rosacea, it is the oxygenated hemoglobin of the red blood cells  that absorbs the laser energy. This is how the laser enters the blood vessels in order to seal them off. The body then considers this tissue to be waste and naturally eliminates the non-functional blood vessel tissue. Hemoglobin will not absorb just any wavelength. It will absorb the 595nm wavelength that is produced by the V-beam laser. 

Fraxel Re:pair is a carbon dioxide laser that basically vaporizes and tightens the skin. So this is irrelevant to blood vessels. Fraxel Restore/Dual uses the 1550 and the 1927nm wavelengths which are too long to be absorbed by oxygenated hemoglobin. This is why the V-beam is idea for treating Rosacea. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon