Should I go for CO2 Fractional Laser treatment or excision of my facial moles? (photo)

I have several moles on my face/neck that I would like removed for cosmetic purposes. Some have grown slowly over many years, and some have appeared in just the last few years. All grow longer hairs, and all but one are dark in color. My main concern is for minimal scarring and that they don't grow back. I am looking into CO2 Fractional Laser removal in Thailand because it's quick and cost-effective, and this is what the best Thai cosmetic clinics recommend.

Excision vs laser mole removal

+1
I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to "destroy" a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future. Plus, I'm not convinced that a laser will even give the best cosmetic result.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/general-dermatology/wart-removal/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.