How Soon Can I Fly Home After the Facelift?

Living overseas, and I want to know how long after a facelift I should wait before traveling?

Flying after a facelift

+3

The risk of flying in less than 2 weeks after a facelift is that if your HR and BP went up unexpectedly, you could have a hematome up to the 2 week point. Also, a long flight like to Israel carries DVT and PE risks so you need to be up walking every hour on the way home. Stay AT LEAST 2 weeks if you want to do this right.

Living Overseas and Facelift

+2

A facelift, if just a standard SMAS plication or elevation, is well on its way to being healed after 2 weeks. Although there will be some residual swelling the pressure differential in the plane will not result in a change in the outcome or increase the risks of complications. So long and short of it is that 2 weeks should be sufficient.

With that said if a more significant surgery is performed perhaps a longer period may be necessary.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Flying home after a facelift

+2

At our office we require the patient to come back 24 and 48 hours after surgery and then at day 7 and day 10 after surgery.  It is not uncommon for patients to go out of town (2-3 hours away) between day 3 and day 7.  When our clients fly in from out of state we ask for them to stay in the vicinity for 10 days before leaving or we set up another physician to follow up with them in their home state. 

For you living in another country we would just have you stay for 10 days.

Michael L. Workman, MD

Flying AFTER a Facelift

+2

The concerns attached to medical tourism are the management of potential immediate complications, the safety of travel and the long term management of any complications by a surgeon who did NOT operate on you.

I would wait 7-14 days before considering any travel assuming there were no complications but would be happier if you stayed locally for 2 weeks.

I would also ascertain that your surgeon has an agreement with colleagues in Israel (or vice versa) to look after you once you return. Most surgeons may feel awkward being asked to care for you after surgery elsewhere when they were not considered good enough to do your operation in the first place.

Israel has GREAT Plastic surgeons known to many of us (especially in Ramat Gan, Hertzellia and Jerusalem) who probably charge less than the fees charged in the US. So travelling here does not make much sense on several levels.

Travel after a facelift

+2

I usually request my patients remain in the area about 2 weeks to make sure everything is proceeding normally. If patients live several hours away I ask they stay here 2 days then come back a week later and 2 weeks later.

The reason I request staying 2 weeks after surgery is to prevent a number of complications including pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the legs that can travel to the lungs).

I hope this helps you and wish you good luck on your surgery. Have you seen any plastic surgeons in Israel? There certainly are quite a few.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Travel after a Facelift

+1

Patients who travel from out of town for facelifts generally can leave town five to seven days after surgery. Most can have virtual consultations and then fly in for surgery with a final consultation in person on the day before surgery. Longer flights after surgery would add a few more days in town. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Flying after Facelift

+1

I advise patients to wait a minimum of 8 days prior to flying and leaving town; this is only if the patient had an unremarkable recovery period without complications.  At day 7, we remove stitiches in front of the ear and they are allowed to travel the next day.  The longer you can stay in town close to your surgeon the better. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flying Home after Facelift

+1

Approximately 75% of our surgical patients fly domestically and internationally from other locations for their operations. Depending on the the extent of their facelift, they return home 7-10 days after surgery.

Flying home after facelift

+1

If a full facelift than at least 3 weeks, if a mini face lift than wait 2 weeks. This is for your safety.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Stay near your surgeon for 7-10 days after facelift surgery

+1

Plan on staying close to your surgeon for the first seven to ten days after a major surgery like a facelift. It is important that you are close by to your surgeon so that he can address any postoperative complications that may occur such as hematoma, swelling, edema, and seroma formation.