Incision/Scar Line from Upper Blepharoplasty and the Sun?

How long should one avoid direct sunlight regarding the incisions/scar line after having Upper Blepharoplasty. Thank you for your time!

Avoid sunlight for about 3 months

Any scar that is still red in color, will pigment abnormally if exposed to sunlight so that should be an easy way for you to know how long to avoid direct sunlight.

Having said that, a blepharoplasty incision is very well hidden and the risk of abnormal pigmentation is low, except for possibly the outside and inside corners of the eyelid where the skin fold is absent.

I certainly would not recommend suntanning during this time and it would be best if you wore protective sunglasses when outside.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

For the best end result -

I recommend that my patients avoid sun exposure to any surgical incision until the scar has faded.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

1725 Village Center Circle
Las Vegas, NV 89134

Red after bleph

As long as the incsion is red minimize your sun will just keep it red longer.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

3700 Central Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Sun exposure after blepharoplasty

I recommend being diligent about sun protection with sunscreens and limitation of sun exposure for any exposed incisional scar for 6 to 12 months.  A good indicator that the scar has matured is when the color is no longer pink and matches the color of the surrounding skin.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

2365 Old Milton Pkwy
Alpharetta, GA 30009

Scar on eyelids

A goof thing to do for a botu a year is to put sunblock on your scars. This will help limite hyperpigmentation.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Upper Blepharoplasty Scar

Thank you for the question. I would recommend avoiding direct sun exposure for 6 months for any scar. During that time your scar is still healing and sun may darken the scar.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

1800 Howell Mill Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30318