Incision/Scar Line from Upper Blepharoplasty and the Sun?

How long should one avoid direct sunlight regarding the incisions/scar line after having Upper Blepharoplasty. Thank you for your time!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Sun exposure of scars

+1

Scars continue to mature over the course of 6 months to a year.  During this time period, it is helpful to limit direct sun exposure, by wearing sun block.  Sun exposure could cause a change in the scars coloring, such as darkening and making its appearance more obvious.  Blepharoplasty scars typically heal very well, but sun block is always a good idea as well as sun glasses for protection of the scar, but also for the your skin and eyes. 

Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid sunlight for about 3 months

+2

Any scar that is still red in color, will pigment abnormally if exposed to sunlight so that should be an easy way for you to know how long to avoid direct sunlight.

Having said that, a blepharoplasty incision is very well hidden and the risk of abnormal pigmentation is low, except for possibly the outside and inside corners of the eyelid where the skin fold is absent.

I certainly would not recommend suntanning during this time and it would be best if you wore protective sunglasses when outside.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

For the best end result -

+1

I recommend that my patients avoid sun exposure to any surgical incision until the scar has faded.

Red after bleph

+1

As long as the incsion is red minimize your sun exposure.you will just keep it red longer.

Web reference: http://beautybybrueck.com

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sun exposure after blepharoplasty

+1

I recommend being diligent about sun protection with sunscreens and limitation of sun exposure for any exposed incisional scar for 6 to 12 months.  A good indicator that the scar has matured is when the color is no longer pink and matches the color of the surrounding skin.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar on eyelids

+1

A goof thing to do for a botu a year is to put sunblock on your scars. This will help limite hyperpigmentation.

Upper Blepharoplasty Scar

+1

Thank you for the question. I would recommend avoiding direct sun exposure for 6 months for any scar. During that time your scar is still healing and sun may darken the scar.