What Can I Do to Fix the Rippling/Wrinkling on my Breasts?

Hi, i had my breasts enlarged the first time to 525cc dual plane silicone and wanted bigger so a year ago i went to 800cc dual plane silicone however i had a 'knuckle' and my doctor tryed to fix it 6 months later... however its been 4months since my 'corrective' surgery and this is what ive ended up like.. my left breast is perfect however my right has really bad rippling down the cleavage. im really upset and ive spent a fortune on my boobs and this is the outcome, what can i do to fix it? xx

Fat grafting and smaller implants

Your breast tissue is over stretched and does not cover the implant. Thin layer of skin covering the implant. You need to down size your implant and use fat grafting to ct as spacer. You can check my web site for example of patients that fat grafting has replaced implants.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Rippling can develop when the tissuea re very thin. Sometiems this can be treated with Strattice or alloderm to add a layer of coverage to the implant.

Your problem exhibits what happens when too large an implant is used for your tissue characteristics. It would probably be best to reduce the implant size and add some acellular dermal matrix in the area of the rippling. Adding fat grafts my help to camouflage the rippling. There are no guarantees that either of these approaches will totally resolve the problem. Good luck.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Rippling/Wrinkling after Breast Implant

You are in a tight spot, literally.  You implants are a bit too wide for your chest wall.  I completely agree with Dr. Baxter, your choices are limited.  If you are not already in a high profile implant, you can consider increasing the profile of the implant (a high profile 800 cc implant is more narrow than a moderate plus profile 800cc implant, and a moderate profle 800cc implant is more narrow than a moderate profile 800 cc implant.  Barring changing the profile or downsizing, Strattice is a viable option.

Nia Banks, MD, PhD
Washington Plastic Surgeon

Rippling and Large Implants

Unfortunately the problems you are having are not uncommon when very large implants stress the ability of the skin and breast tissue to adapt to them. Your breast are getting increasing close together and further surgery risks the development of synmastia where the implant pockets connect. Use of AlloDerm to thicken the skin over the area of rippling would be my choice to try to improve it.

Richard Linderman, MD

Fat grafting is another method that may help with your problem

While I agree with the suggestion to down size your implants and to make sure the dimensions of your implants meet the dimensions  of your breast, there is an additional possibility to minimize the ripples. I would suggest that a great technique is to expand the soft tissue volume of your breast with fat grafting. This is a technique that can restore not only volume but texture to your breast. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Strattice for implant rippling

With very large implants like yours, the tissue gets stretched and thins around the implants so going larger probably contributed to making the ripples worse. The only realistic option at this point would be to build an internal bra with Strattice grafts. Downsizing would also help.

Richard Baxter, MD

Rippling medial breast

Your implants are too wide for your breasts creating the ripple, and they need better coverage with soft tissue.  A smaller implant and perhaps graft with fat or dermal matrix should help.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Rippling is very difficult to fix

Rippling is avery difficult problem, and is most likely related to the skin of the breast and not the implants.

Combination of Large Implants With Inadequate Soft Tissue Coverage

The combination of large implants in women with inadequate soft tissue coverage can cause a variety of problems. Your pictures suggest greater problems than just a medial breast ripple. It appears that your implants are encroaching on the midline and putting you at risk for a condition known as synmastia, where the breast merge across the midline obliterating your cleavage.

Correction of the problem will probably require several surgical maneuvers. These include the replacement of your current breast implants with smaller implants with a decreased transverse dimensions. The use of an acellular matrix such as alloderm or strattice to function as an internal bra for support. It may also be necessary to perform a breast lift if decreasing breast size results in breast sag.

It’s important that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon so a treatment plan can be formulated. It’s also important to wait 3-6 months before proceeding with revisional surgery.