How Do I Fix my Over-filled Lips?

I just had Restylane injected yesterday and my immediate results were a tad too plump but was assured it was swollen. Now, the next day, they are ridiculously large. What can I do? I feel so foolish for messing with my face.

Restylane and swelling

+1

Sometimes lips swell to a "ridiculously large" size, then settle down after several days....icing is good, and patience too. I would recommend following up with your provider, just so they're aware - but I wouldn't consider removing the product until after the swelling has subsided.

Swelling after Restylane in the lips

+1

Swelling can be present for a week after filler injection. So I wouldn't judge your results quite yet, but may want to notify your doctor so they reconsider the volume amount they inject in the future. If you are experiencing pain or itching, you should notify your doctor.  Good luck.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

How Do I Fix my Over-filled Lips?

+1

You are most likely still swollen, as the swelling can last for a few days with some patients.  As I’m sure you are aware, Restylane is reabsorbed by the body in varying amounts of time (generally 6 to 9 months), and I would give it a few more days.  If, indeed, you feel that your lips are too “plump”,  Hyaluronidase is a natural substance found in the body, and may be injected into the area where the Restylane was injected, and this will catalyze the breakdown of the Restylane. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fixing Over Filled Lips

+1

I would suggest you wait seven to 10 days before judging the results of the treatments.  After this time, you can reverse the treatment with hyaluronidase.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Restylane Injections and Swelling.

+1

This is a normal response.  Give yourself at least 7 to 10 days before considering to dissolve the product completely.  Icing the area treated as much and as often as you can for the first 24-48 hours can help decrease the swelling as well.  Follow up with your provider in 1-2 weeks if you are still unhappy.  

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Swelling after Restylane

+1

Immediately after the treatment, the treated area can be slightly swollen and red. This is a normal result of the injection and it generally goes away in a day or two. I suggest giving it a few more days and using some ice compresses. Also, sleep with your head elevated on several pillows for a few nights.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Do I Fix my Over-filled Lips?

+1

IMHO, you should wait a week to be sure some of what you're seeing is not swelling.  You as always should discuss this with the MD that did your Lip Augmentation.  Remember there's no inherent magic in any filler.  The magic resides in the MD's ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of naturally, full and attrractive lips.

Severe swelling from Restylane lip enhancement

+1

I always recommend waiting at least one to two weeks for the swelling to go down after the treatment before worrying about any long-term adverse effects or considering any "touch-up" treatments such as additional filler injections or reversing the treatment using hyaluronidase. The typical side effects associated with hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Severe swelling is possible but uncommon following Restylane treatment.

+1

I would recommend that you be patient for at least a week.  Most of the swelling will be gone by  then.  If you are still concerned, check back with the doctor that performed the procedure.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Swollen from Restylane

+1

You really need to wait at least 7 days. There is a lot of swelling in there and messing around trying to inject hyaluronidase right now is just not a great idea. You and your doctor will end up chasing your tails, injecting Resty, then hyaluronidase, then Resty again, and on and on. Just wait a minimum of 7 days. Don't press on it, continue icing. Then assess.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD