Restylane Didn't Get Rid of my Mouth Wrinkles, Should I Try a Different Filler?

Hi! Today is two weeks since I had my Restylane treatment around my mouth (chin, smile lines and above my top lip). I hate my lip lines so much and was so excited to try this. I not only bruised and swelled awful, but now that everything is finally calm I still see the majority of the wrinkles and now a lump of filler I guess above my lip which my doctor said I should enjoy, I will miss it when it is gone because it will be another wrinkle.She wants me to try Sculptra but am now way too scared?

+2

I have successfully softened lines and wrinkles around the mouth using Botox for over 20 years.  It must be diluted appropriately but works very well, IMHO.  

Fine lines around mouth

+2

Fine lines around the mouth may be treated with laser peels, or even LaVIV.  Fillers can help and even botox in very small doses can help the lip.

Restylane around the mouth

+2

I would not recommend Sculptra as my first choice for treatment of lines around the mouth.  Restylane and Juvederm are my top choices for lines around the mouth.  You may need additional filler for best results.  You also may want to try a different injector.  A good injector can get great results with many different fillers.  The choice of injector is more important than the choice of which filler. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers are an art form.

+2

Who does your treatment determines what you get.  I would suggest that you consider a different injector.  Sculptra for the lip, I personal do not recommend it.  Because Sculptra takes time to work, it is very difficult to have a precise treatment.  Restylane is much better for this.  Shop around and find a different injector who can help you.

Facial fillers

+2

Without seeing you, it is difficult to ascertain if you need another type of filler, or if you need more syringes of the restylane. Most patients end up needed more volume for the areas to be treated.

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and wrinkles

+1

Typically you would see good results with your treatment immediately - and if not, you likely needed more product OR the placement wasn't quite right. Lumps and bumps are not uncommon and you should follow up with your provider if you feel it needs further assesment and/or massage.

Sam Naficy, MD

Combination therapies for perioral rejuvenation

+1

I agree with previous opinions which state that you should not try Sculptra for lip lines.  Precise placement of Restylane or Juvederm should work well.  Combining Restylane or Juvederm with micro-doses of Botox yields an even better result.

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon