Ask a doctor

Filler for Flat Nipples?

My nipples are kinda flat, I wouldn't say inverted, just flat. I really don't want to do surgery.

Is there a filler that can be injected under the nipple to make it more erect, like Sculptra? And would it have any effect on potential breastfeeding in 3-5 years? Thank you

Doctor Answers (3)

Juvederm, sculptra, or restylane



This is an interesting question.  Fillers are not FDA approved for the use you describe, but they are still used for off-label applications at times.  I would hesitate to pursue this treatment. As you may know, fillers are also temporary.  If you hope to breast feed in the future, you may want to wait until after your child-bearing years to consider a treatment for this issue.  It may also be something to "live with" as nipple projection varies among women. 

San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Fillers: Juvederm, Radiesse, Sculptra



Thanks for the question. While there are a number of fillers on the market that could theoretically be used to augment your nipple to give it more projection, this use would be considered "off-label" and hence not recommended. Additionally, if you are considering breast feeding in the future, volumizing the nipple with a filler could potentially impede the milk ducts and, again, would not be recommended. I suggest you followup with you local board certified plastic surgeon to review your options.

Best of luck!

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Be careful what you wish for ...


Women who haven't had full term pregnancies and nursed infants will usually have nipples which are not very prominent. Injecting hyaluronic acid fillers is a painful proposition, which has a limited longevity and is pricey. I generally recommend my breast cancer patients a visit to a reputable lingerie department, where they sell nipple prostheses, which can you can take on and off, at will.

Some of my patients have told me that their nipple elevation was increased, after nipple piercings, however I can't confirm this. I would consider all your options carefully before proceeding. Good luck.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.

You might also like...

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.