Surgery to Remove Extra Nipples?

I have two extra nipples. I have had them since I was born and I hate them. I can wear swimsuits with nice tops because they show they are right below my original ones.

I'm now 17 and want to remove them. Are there home remedies? I heard wart remover works? And if not, I have insurance. Will it cover it and will it hurt? Thanks so much.

Extra nipples

+2

Extra nipples are not that uncommon. Surgery can remove these nipples. This is usually done as a local procedure in the office. Sometimes insurance may cover the removal. It would be best to have the extra nipples removed before you become pregnant. With the added hormones of pregnancy, they might grow larger. I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Removal of extra nipples?

+1
Surgical excision by a plastic surgeon is the appropriate treatment for the removal of extra nipples.  

David Stoker, MD

Redundant nipples

+1
Having redundant nipples is very common; just under the breast and in the axilla in particular.  The surgery is typically straightforward and can be done under local anaesthetic.  You will have a small scar but that should fade away with time.  Do NOT use a topical treatment.  You will not get the result you want and the surgery to correct it will costs more and not look as nice as if you had it done properly from the outset.  This is your body, it is worth it.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Supernumerary nipple removal

+1
Your condition is more common than most patients believe. The extra nipples can be removed. Some patients also have ectopic breast tissue with the appearance of two mini breasts in the axillary area. Most insurance companies cover the procedure which, depending upon the condition, can either be performed in the office surgical suite or on an ambulatory basis.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Extra nipple removal?

+1

The best way to remove “extra nipples” is the direct excision. Usually, these small scar that remains is less conspicuous than the extra nipple. Occasionally, patients will also have extra breast tissue below the  extra nipple  that can also be treated. I have had some success treating the extra breast tissue with direct excision and/or liposuctioning.

Remove extra nipples

+1

Extra nipples, also known as polythelia, are easily removed, usually under local anesthesia, just like a mole.  There are no effective home remedies.  Sometimes people even have extra breasts (polymastia).  The most common area is under the arm.  These too can be removed.  Insurance will usually cover this probalem.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Yes, there is a simple procedure

+1

Removal fs extra  nipples can be a simple office procedure done under local anesthesia. You should check with your insurance company to see if they will cover the procedure.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Extra nipples are common

+1

Extra nipples are actually quite common in men and women.  They result from in utero development.  They are easily removed under a local anesthesia  and leave a small almost imperceptable scar.   Insurance coverage varies from person to person, and the specific terms of your policy would need to be investigated to determine whether the procedure would be covered. 

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Extra nipples can be removed, but don't use wart remover!

+1

Often, accessory (extra) nipples look like a mole, and are often mistaken for this. Occasionally, the accessory nipples can have areolas and look similar to your real nipple/areola complexes. There can even be breast tissue present beneath the accessory nipples that could swell with pregnancy and breast feeding. Thus, other than not liking the appearance, there are several good reasons to have your extra nipples removed surgically by an expert plastic surgeon. The scars will be permanent, and the size of the scar depends on the size of the extra nipples and any areola surrounding them. Local anesthesia is used, and the scars will fade over several months. With good plastic surgical technique and time, these scars are almost certain to be better that having those extra nipples you hate! Best wishes.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Removal of accessory nippples

+1

Don't feel alone.  Accessory nipples are very common both in males and females.  In fact, very frequently I will point out an accessory nipple in a patient who though it was just a mole.  They arise in the "milk line" which runs from the armpit to the groin.  I have most commonly seen them just below the breast.  There are no home remedies.  Insurance generally will pay for their removal which is usually an uncomplicated procedure.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon