OTC Fever Blister Remedy After Restylane?

Is there a remedy OTC for after restylane fever blisters?I forgot to ask before surgery! THANKS!! 

Restylane and cold sores

+1

If you've had facial/lip cold sores before, an injection can cause another outbreak. It's best to start an anti-viral prior to having the injections done, and the provider typically will write you a prescription. Over the counter remedies only shorten the duration of the cold sore.

Fever Blisters from Restylane

+1

To avoid fever blisters altogether, it's best to take a prescription medication (daily) but especially one BEFORE the actual injection procedure is done, preventing the breakout in the first place. OTC medications like Abreva exist for fever blisters, but they aren't that great in reality. An oral prescription like Acyclovir is absolutely more effective and your physician injector should be happy to give you an Rx for it.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Yes, There Are OTC Remedies for Fever Blister After Restylane But Prescription Medications Are Better

+1

If you have a history of fever blisters, you should always let your doctor know before any procedure around your mouth.  This includes fillers with Restylane, chemical peels, or laser resurfacing.  If you are undergoing these procedures with a history of fever blisters, you should take a prescription medication before the procedure that will prevent an outbreak.  If you develop a fever blisters, prescription medications are best getting the blisters to go away.  

The over the counter medication can decrease pain and discomfort of the blisters.  They do little to help them go away.  

If you were my family, I would tell you get go see a doctor, get an accurate diagnosis, and get a prescription.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fever Blisters after Restylane

+1

Any irritation of the lips, including injecting Restylane, can cause fever blisters. If this has happened to you, the best thing to do is to call the physician who did the injection. There are prescription medications that are very effective at halting the progress of fever blisters. Plus you want to be certain that you have the correct diagnosis before beggining any treatment.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Fever blister that develops after Restylane should be brought to the attention of your doctor.

+1

The over the counter fever blister medicines are not particularly helpful.  Valtex a prescription medicine FDA approved for genital herpes (type II herpes), is thought to be useful in the treatment of cold sores (fever blister).  At this point Valtrex may or may not speed up resolution of the fever blister.  However in the future you should consider prophylactic Valtrex at the time of a Restylane treatment.