Why Do I Feel Bloated and Uncomfortable After Eating 3 Weeks Post-op Tummy Tuck?

I am 3 weeks post-op for a tummy tuck with a muscle repair, and an umbilical hernia repair. I have noticed that when I eat, I have to eat significantly less because I will feel extremely bloated and uncomfortable if I don't. I was wondering if and when this will stop happening. Also, I am concerned that being bloated will stretch out my fascia again, or ruin the tummy tuck result. I do still where a compression garment during the day and binder at night. Thank you very much.

Bloating after Tummy Tuck?

+2

What you are experiencing is quite common after tummy tuck surgery. It is probably related to the increased intra-abdominal pressure after the muscle plication;  if it becomes a major concern then a gastrointestinal workup may be  helpful.

+2

As previously stated eat small more frequent meals. Also if not improving by 3 months post op see your surgeon to be examined and obtain a GI evaluation. Regards 

Bloating 3 weeks after a tummy tuck

+2

Your feeling of "bloating" a few weeks after a tummy tuck is not rare and is related to the tightening of your abdominal wall with a resulting decreased intra-abdominal volume (capacity). In other words, because of the decreased "space" for your intra-abdominal organs, it will take less food volume for you to feel full (for example). There may also be other issues at play as well which may resolve with time.

Unless you gain a lot of weight, this should have no impact on the muscle repair or the overall result. Wear the binder as instructed by your surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Feeling bloated after meals after tummy tuck is not uncommon

+2

This is not an uncommon sensation in the short period after a tummy tuck.  Try to eat smaller meals more frequently as this can frequently help with the feeling of bloating.  You will unlikely stretch out the repair of your abdominal wall.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck, and bloating

+2

There are many reasons to bloat after tummy tuck.. Medications, anaesthesia, muscle tighteneing.

Try simethicone or maalox plus (over the counter) .  laxative or fleets enema may be useful.

simplify your diet for now.

Bloating after a tummy tuck

+2

This is totally normal as when the muscles have been tightened, the gas, air swallowing and general bloating associated with eating puts pressure on the repair and causes discomfort.  Continue with the garments, watch out for gassy foods, eat lightly and more frequestly and this will eventually go away.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS