Feasible to Have a Tummy Tuck During Colon Resection Surgery?

35 yr old caucasian female, 5ft, 133lbs, hx of keloid scars, 2 c-sections, Crohns dx otherwise healthy. Thick through abdominal area. Is it possible to have needed colon resection by general surgeon (removing approx 10 inches of combined small & large intestines d/t narrowing) & then close w/ tummy tuck +/- liposuction by plastic surgeon? I want to combine procedures & minimize likelihood of scars. Low transverse is fine, avoid vertical incision scars. What are risks? Is this ever done?

Tummy tucks can be combined with other medically necessary surgeries

+3

Many people do like the idea of having only one recovery period after surgery, and we often do combine tummy tucks with other surgeries, like hysterectomy, hernia repair, or tubal ligation, for instance.  HOWEVER, I would never consider combining a tummy tuck with a colon resection for Crohn's disease. That is a great setup for infection and serious wound healing problems.  Just say no.

Colon Resection, Tummy Tuck and Liposuction.

+3

Cosmetic plastic surgery is by its nature "clean" surgery. Tummy tucks and liposuction have low rates of infection, because, other then the skin, there is normally no other source of contamination. Peri-operative antibiotics are chosen to cover the Staph and Strep normally found on the skin, and to further reduce the incidence of infection.

Colon resection, on the other hand, has two sources of contamination, the skin and the colon. The colon has different bacteria, and requires different antibiotic coverage. Even though the colon is prepped, there is a slightly higher risk of infection with this type of surgery.

I would recommend separating your hazards. Have the colon resection, be certain that you are going to heal sufficiently from this procedure, and then later have the cosmetic procedures. Your recovery will be easier and the procedures will be safer. By following you colon resection with the cosmetic procedure, the scar can still be revised or removed with the tummy tuck.

The placement of the initial scar can be coordinated with your surgeon in conjunction with your plastic surgeon for the best cosmetic result. Staging the procedures will provide you with a safer and more predictable result, without compromising the cosmetic outcome.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Don't Combine Colon Surgery with Tummy Tuck

+2

Combining the Tummy Tuck with other procedures is tempting to reduce cost and for efficiency combining recovery. I would advise against combining with colon surgery as too risky for complications: don't do it.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Bad idea!

+1

Some surgeries can be combined, such as a hysterectomy and a tummy tuck or a hernia repair and a tummy tuck.  I would not recommend an elective tummy tuck to be done at the same time as a  colon resection. You may find a plastic surgeon to do this procedure, but keep in mind by combining these surgeries, you would be at a higher risk for infection.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Don't combine bowel surgery with tummy tuck

+1

I would strongly advise you against combining bowel surgery (colon, small bowel, stomach, etc) with a tummy tuck. When the general surgeon removes the bowel, the incisions becomes mildly contaminated. This contamination, even though it is mild, will put you at increased risk of infection and wound healing problems.  You're much better off having the necessary bowel surgery, allow yourself several months to completely heal and recover, then consult with a board certified plastic surgeon about a tummy tuck. I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with colon resection

+1

It is probably not a good idea to have a tummy tuck at the same time as a colon resection for crohn's disease.

Tummy tuck

+1

What is the rush?  Wait until you have healed and recovered from the colon resection.  Your risks of infection will be higher and other concerns stated.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Abdominoplasty at the same time as bowel resection.

+1

You would be nuts to have these procedures done at the same time, absolutely nuts.  If your bowel surgeon or your plastic surgeon have suggested you doing it this way, you need to find a new surgeon.  The possible complications from this combination have been discussed very well in this discussion by other doctors. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Having Tummy Tuck / Lipo at the same time as Bowel Resection is a VERY BAD Idea

+1
Regarding: "Feasible to Have a Tummy Tuck During Colon Resection Surgery? 35 yr old caucasian female, 5ft, 133lbs, hx of keloid scars, 2 c-sections, Crohns dx otherwise healthy. Thick through abdominal area. Is it possible to have needed colon resection by general surgeon (removing approx 10 inches of combined small & large intestines d/t narrowing) & then close w/ tummy tuck +/- liposuction by plastic surgeon? I want to combine procedures & minimize likelihood of scars. Low transverse is fine, avoid vertical incision scars. What are risks? Is this ever done?" Feasible - Yes. Advisable - Absolutely NOT. As a matter of fact any surgeon who advises you to have such a procedure is either having a serious lapse of judgment which will hurt you. Operations on the intestine are classified as "contaminated" procedures, meaning that despite our best efforts a variable degree of bacteria from the intestine escape and potentially infect everything that contacts the operative area. Due to the higher rate of infection, we never combine discretionary, non-emergent cases, especially cosmetic procedures with such cases. Combining a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction with the resection of bowel (especially inflamed bowel) means that fecal bacteria will be likely spread through the entire area of undermining done by the Tummy Tuck and liposuction procedure potentially resulting in a preventable massive, potentially lethal infection. Do NOT do it. Dr. Peter Aldea

Not A Good Idea!!

+1
Several issues here in my mind: (1) The usual approach for your general surgery procedure is a vertical midline (at least when I trained) (2) I would not add a low transverse incision to the above incision plus liposuction.  You are only asking to have poor healing problems (ie wounds) (3) Your proposed suggestion would prolong a necessary operative procedure (4) You were or are on some type of medications to suppress you immune system (steroid) for your inflammatory bowel disease which can lead to poor healing. These a just a few reasons.  It is unwise to combine these procedures.  Possibly you may not be the best candidate regardless of timing for body contour surgery. Consult with several board certified plastic surgeons. Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS