Abdominal Bloating/Distension 1 Year After Tummy Tuck

Could the bloating/distension be a reaction to permanent sutures? It has been 13 mos. since my surgery w/no complications and the abdominal distension is getting worse. My surgeon has never had to remove permanent sutures but I am extremely uncomfortable. All my clothes are to tight and I have only gained about 4 lbs. Please reply.

Tummy Tuck Surgery DOES not cause Bloating or Weight Gain

+3

Regarding:  "Abdominal Bloating/Distension 1 Year After Tummy Tuck
"

A Tummy Tuck tightens the OUTER wall of the tummy. It does not enter the abdomen or involve the intestines. Therefore, it is impossible for any surgery done on the outer wall of an intact abdomen to affect the functioning of the inside organs, including the intestine.

I would highly recommend you consider being seen by a gastroenterologist who will do a thorough workup looking for the real reason for your symptoms.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Bloating following abdominoplasty

+2

This condition is unusual.  I would definitely see your plastic surgeon.  I have seen permanent sutures extrude, but I have never seen them cause chronic bloating or swelling.  If your bowels are moving regularly, it is unlikely to be related to intrabdominal or intestinal issues.  The most common cause of distension immediately following a tummy tuck is seroma, but this would be extremely unusual one year following surgery.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Bloating After Tummy Tuck

+2

This is unusual.  I would start with revisiting with your plastic surgeon.  What is likely to happen is that you may need see a gastroenterologist (GI doc)  to evaluate your digestive system.  The bloating and your past tummy tuck may be unrelated.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Bloating 1 year after tummy tuck is not typical

+2

There are a variety of potential explanations for your condition and these should be evaluated via a consultation with a gastroenterologist as suggested by Dr's Rand and Aldea.

Bloating after a tummy tuck

+2

As Dr. Aldea has said, you need to visit a gastroenterologist as the tummy tuck isn't likely to be causing your problem.  Also, if you feel tight and are any amount of weight up from preop you need to lose that and maybe 5 more pounds too.  This will lessen the intraabdominal pressure you feel significantly.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Bloating one year after tummy tuck

+1

It is unlikely that your bloating is related to your tummy tuck that was performed a year ago. You may want to see a gastronenterologist first.