How Soon After Fat Transfer to the Face Can I Inject Radiesse?

I had a fat transfer to my face 10 days ago and as the swelling is almost completely gone, I'm noticing that there's still not enough volume. I'd like to add a small a mount of Radiesse in certain areas of my cheeks, wondering if I can go ahead with that or if there's some reason why I have to wait?

Using fillers after fat transfer

+1

While it is very hard to be patient, this is exactly what you need to be at this time.  You just underwent grafting and haven't given the grafts time to establish themselves.  In addition, there is still some edema associated with your procedure.  I agree with the doctors above, it would be in your best interest to wait a little while (3 months) to allow for resolution of the edema and to determine exactly which areas will need to be augemented to provide you with your desired results.

Radiesse After Fat Transfer - Yes!

+1

I'd wait 6 weeks until most of the swelling is gone and volume deficiency is determined.  Hope this helps.

Dr. G

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Wait for a few months after fat transfer

+1

Wait a minimum of 3 months before making a decision on the need for further filler, such as Radiesse.  I know that patience is difficult at this time, but waiting is the smart thing to do.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler after fat graft

+1

You may want to wait at least 3 months after your fat graft procedure as your results may still change. Adding a long term filler now may give you results that will be hard to reverse later. Have patience and discuss with your fat graft doctor first.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

I disagree with all my colleagues on this one

+1

Sorry, I have a completely different opinion on this matter.  I have done a careful evaluation of fat grafting and I see that there is a dip over time then improvement over a year to 2 years.  now this really refers to my patients not to anyone else's.  those who do not get good fat take probably just treat it like restylane and that it would go away.  but then why not just do restylane?  i look at fat grafting as a permanent graft that gets blood supply and STARTS to look good somewhere between 6 months to a year.  watch the attached video in which i talk about how i use a hair transplant model to understand the evolving changes with fat grafting over time.  plus i linked to my website in which i show these evolving changes that occur over time with my fat grafting.  please understand these principles i believe are universal but only for those surgeons who are getting long-term results not for those who do not.  hope that helps.

best,

dr. sam lam

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse after fat grafting.

+1

Yes, you can go ahead with it now since you want more projection. You may need more filler later if the fat goes down even more, but that is not a problem.

Wait a while after fat injections before adding other filler

+1

It would be one thing to inject a finer filler in places that the fat injections didn't treat, but I would recommend that you wait a few months before adding to the fat injections in the same areas to allow it to heal and reveal its new volume better.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse volume correction injections following facial fat grafting

+1

Wait at least 3 months following facial fat grafting prior to even contemplating addtional volume correction. Performing this prior to that could produce secondary deformities when the surgical swelling resolves.

Wait several months for edema from fat transfer to resolve before injecting dermal filler

+1

I would echo my colleagues advice to wait several months for edema from fat transfer to resolve before injecting dermal filler. If you're interested in midface improvement and some softening of the nasolabial folds then deep, depot injections of Radiesse over the cheeks can dramatically improve volume. This effects last about 9-12 months.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer

+1

I would wait until most and if not all of the edema resolves which could be several months prior to radiesse injection.  About 50% of fat grafts will absorb and may require additional treatments.  Talk to your plastic surgeon about additional fat transfer within the next several months.

Christopher K. Livingston, MD