How Long Does Fat Transfer for Lip Ehancement Last?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Longevity of fat transer to lip

+2

I love doing fat grafts.

Buttocks, thighs, breasts, scars, cheeks, temples, you name it. I have even done fat grafts on feet!
But there is something about the lips...
I just don't have consistent results with fat grafts on the lips. Perhaps it is because the lips move almost constantly and the fat micrografts are never stable enough for blood vessels to grow into them.
It is always worth a try because you get some take, but it is the only case of fat grafting where I tell people they may need a second injection.

Fat Transfer to lips yields long-lasting enhancement

+1

Although no study has conclusively answered this question, it appears that autologous fat transfer (from your own body) yields long lasting lip augmentation, and 4-5 years of enhancement is not unusual. There is a good chance that a small percentage (perhaps 15-20%) might actually survive permanently.

Fat is certainly longer lasting than any hyaluronic acid product (eg. Juvederm) and safer than more permanent injectable products that should never be injected into the lips (eg. Radiesse, Silicone). It also feels completely normal and when performed correctly is devoid of any lumps or bumps. Fat yields great results.

Even so, I first suggest an in-office lip augmentation with Restylane to my patients before jumping to fat. I want to make sure that they like the appearance and feel of their lips with more volume. Then, only if they like their enhanced lips, do we proceed with fat transfer about 8-10 months later (after the Restylane is gone).

Other lip procedures include the lip lift and the permanent lip implant, so make sure you talk with your doctor about ALL your options for lip enhancement and decide which is best for you!

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.