Fat Injection to Thicken Skin?

I had steroid injection for tennis elbow and my skin as thinned due to this around the joint would fat injection be the correct soloution to thicken the skin?

Fat Transfer, fat injections, micro fat transfer

+1

Dear Hs17, The steroid atrophy can be a temporary issue. It can take 6 months to a year for the changes in the skin to reverse and become more normal. Fat transfer may help to add volume to the skin. Multiple treatments may be necessary to achieve the best result.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Fat injection to add volume under skin

+1

Hs17,

Thinning of the skin with topical or injectable steroid medication is a potential issue. Fat injections is a common plastic surgery procedure. Fat may be used for both cosmetic and reconstructive purposes. Your own fat is harvested via small liposuction device, typically from the abdomen. Fat injections may be performed under local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia depending on the areas being treated. Although fat is transferred usually to the face for rejuvenation, fat may be used almost anywhere in the body.

Fat adds volume and plumps the area being treated. However, there isn't any clear information that fat thickens the skin (epidermis & dermis) layers. The appearance of the skin may be thicker though.

Speak with a plastic surgeon who performs fat injection to see if transferring fat is an appropriate solution for you. Best of luck.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon