How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL?

I had a BBL Surgery 4 days ago, what are things that I should and shouldnt do to make sure that most of my fat survive?

Fat Volume Survival After Brazilian Butt Lift is Variable

How much your injected fat will survive after a Brazilian Butt Lift will not be influenced by anything you do, short of significant weight loss. How the fat was prepared, concentrated and then injected will determine its fate.  There are likely other influencing factors on fat graft survival, such as the harvest site of the fat and its innate genetics, that we do not have knowledge of today yet. This is an issue that is beyond your control. Fat survival after injection anywhere can not be predicted with any certainty, particularly when the volume injected is large as in buttock enlargement procedures.

Limit sitting, modify sleeping position--and discuss with surgeon!

It’s important to realize that fat cells are very fragile in the immediate post-operative period. In fact, 20-40% of these fat cells may not survive fat cell grafting. This situation doesn’t improve until these fat cells have re-established blood supply with the surrounding tissue. In most cases this takes about two weeks to occur. At this point, fat cells become less sensitive to the effects of pressure and are less likely to be damaged by sitting or lying on the buttocks.
Several steps can be taken to increase fat cell survival. For instance, we limit sitting or lying on the buttocks to one hour intervals for the first two weeks following surgery. When patients do sit in a chair, they should rest their weight on their posterior thighs away from their buttocks, In addition they should utilize an inflatable pillow whenever possible. When sleeping they should lie on either their side or abdomen to avoid pressure on the buttock.
These routines place obvious limitation on physical activity for post-operative patients. Unfortunately failure to comply with these recommendations can result in cell damage from pressure. This can result in contour irregularities and a less than optimal result.

How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL?

Avoid sitting on it for awhile. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS

HOW TO HELP FAT SURVIVE AFTER BBL

After a Brazilian butt lift it is important to avoid putting pressure on the buttocks for two weeks.  During those two weeks, the majority of the fat that has been transferred attaches to the blood supply and becomes viable.  Once the fat becomes viable it should remain permanently unless you experience significant weight loss at some point down the road.  Weight fluctuations after any surgery can alter your result and increase the risk of additional procedures.  My recommendation is to follow your surgeon’s post op instructions carefully as they are designed to minimize post operative complications and to assure you get an optimum result.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL? #long-lasting #BBL

Thank you for your question!  I have always advocated for staying off your buttock for as long as you possibly can.  This means, do not sit on your butt for at least 3-4 weeks.  This allows the fat to gain its vascularity to survive in its new home, i.e., the buttock.  I always advise to either stand or lay on your stomach for first month and the results can be amazing!!

Other tips include staying well hydrated especially for the first 6 months after a BBL.  Eating a good diet without ingesting any processed foods.  Exercise probably starting around 8 weeks post op to allow the fat to not be displaced or stressed after surgery.

I hope this helps!

How to optimize fat survival after a Brazilian butt lift?

This is a question you should've discussed with your plastic surgeon (I assume that you went to a board certified plastic surgeon) prior to your surgery. There are factors that you have no control over, such as, the surgical technique, how the fat was harvested, prepared for injection and injection technique of the surgeon, just to name a few variables. What you can do after surgery, is to minimize crushing the fat. Remember, this is a free graft, nonvascular and the recipient site is responsible for growing blood vessels into the grafts. I forbid my patients to lie in the supine position for 7-10 days, do not sit on the buttocks, sit on the back of the thighs and lean forward if you have to sit or stand. Do not smoke and do not be in the presence of smokers (this causes vasoconstriction, poor oxygen levels and increased fat death). You are 4 days out from your surgery, so hopefully you did what I suggested above. Talk to your surgeon.

How to enhance fat survival after a Brazilian Butt Lift

Fat survival following buttock augmentation is dependent upon multiple factors. The surgical technique involved in procuring the fat is very important. Thses include prssures that were used as well as processing and injecting the fat, none of which you have control of. Postop I suggest to my patients not to sit for prolonged periods of time on thewir buttocks during the first 4-5 days so as not to put excess pressure on the very sensitive fat cellls which do not yet have a blood supply. There may be other factors that we do not yet comrehend such as the existence of fat cells that are programmed to survive. I am sure that you rsurgeon explained to, you prior to surgery, of the possible need for a second fat grafting procedure.

George Lefkovits, MD

Fat Survival Rate

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us.

In my patients, they can expect between 60-80% of the fat to survive.  The survival rate depends both on the genetics of your body and the skill of the surgeon.  Post surgery, you should follow the plan laid out to you by your surgeon, and avoid putting pressure on your backside (sitting) when possible.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

- Dr. Constantino Mendieta