How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL?

I had a BBL Surgery 4 days ago, what are things that I should and shouldnt do to make sure that most of my fat survive?

How to optimize fat survival after a Brazilian butt lift?

+2

This is a question you should've discussed with your plastic surgeon (I assume that you went to a board certified plastic surgeon) prior to your surgery. There are factors that you have no control over, such as, the surgical technique, how the fat was harvested, prepared for injection and injection technique of the surgeon, just to name a few variables. What you can do after surgery, is to minimize crushing the fat. Remember, this is a free graft, nonvascular and the recipient site is responsible for growing blood vessels into the grafts. I forbid my patients to lie in the supine position for 7-10 days, do not sit on the buttocks, sit on the back of the thighs and lean forward if you have to sit or stand. Do not smoke and do not be in the presence of smokers (this causes vasoconstriction, poor oxygen levels and increased fat death). You are 4 days out from your surgery, so hopefully you did what I suggested above. Talk to your surgeon.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Fat Volume Survival After Brazilian Butt Lift is Variable

+2

How much your injected fat will survive after a Brazilian Butt Lift will not be influenced by anything you do, short of significant weight loss. How the fat was prepared, concentrated and then injected will determine its fate.  There are likely other influencing factors on fat graft survival, such as the harvest site of the fat and its innate genetics, that we do not have knowledge of today yet. This is an issue that is beyond your control. Fat survival after injection anywhere can not be predicted with any certainty, particularly when the volume injected is large as in buttock enlargement procedures.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL? #long-lasting #BBL

+1
Thank you for your question!  I have always advocated for staying off your buttock for as long as you possibly can.  This means, do not sit on your butt for at least 3-4 weeks.  This allows the fat to gain its vascularity to survive in its new home, i.e., the buttock.  I always advise to either stand or lay on your stomach for first month and the results can be amazing!!

Other tips include staying well hydrated especially for the first 6 months after a BBL.  Eating a good diet without ingesting any processed foods.  Exercise probably starting around 8 weeks post op to allow the fat to not be displaced or stressed after surgery.

I hope this helps!

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Fat Survival Rate

+1
Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us.

In my patients, they can expect between 60-80% of the fat to survive.  The survival rate depends both on the genetics of your body and the skill of the surgeon.  Post surgery, you should follow the plan laid out to you by your surgeon, and avoid putting pressure on your backside (sitting) when possible.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

- Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Constantino G. Mendieta, MD

How to enhance fat survival after a Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

Fat survival following buttock augmentation is dependent upon multiple factors. The surgical technique involved in procuring the fat is very important. Thses include prssures that were used as well as processing and injecting the fat, none of which you have control of. Postop I suggest to my patients not to sit for prolonged periods of time on thewir buttocks during the first 4-5 days so as not to put excess pressure on the very sensitive fat cellls which do not yet have a blood supply. There may be other factors that we do not yet comrehend such as the existence of fat cells that are programmed to survive. I am sure that you rsurgeon explained to, you prior to surgery, of the possible need for a second fat grafting procedure.

George Lefkovits, MD