How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL?

I had a BBL Surgery 4 days ago, what are things that I should and shouldnt do to make sure that most of my fat survive?

Fat Survival

+7

Depending on how the fat was harvested and prepared, you can typically expect that 20%-30% of the fat will die. That is typical and that is why we overinject fat so that when the fat settles and a percentage dies, you will still have the results you've wanted. I highly suggest that you try to avoid sitting as much as possible for about 2-3 weeks post-operatively. Other than that, there is not much to do besides let the fat settle into that area. 

best of luck

Helping Fat Survive After a Brazilian Butt Lift

+4

After the Brazilian Butt Lift surgery, the patient must not put pressure on the fat grafts for a period of 3 weeks. Ideally, not sit at all on the new fat grafts for 3 weeks to allow a full 'take.'

Why 3 weeks? These are the key things that must happen for a fat graft to be successful:

1. Blood supply must reach the fat graft before it runs out of nutrients.
  2. Blood vessels must get incorporated into the graft successfully.
  3. All the tissues- fat grafts, blood supply, and surrounding tissues must be knit together successfully by the extracellular matrix.

It takes 3-4 days for the blood vessels to grow into the fat grafts. During the new few days, the blood vessels begin to strengthen. The extracellular matrix surrounding the fat graft takes another 2-3 weeks to reach enough strength to withstand minor stresses. This is why 3 weeks is the absolute earliest a patient can begin stressing the tissues.

Plan to spend the 3 weeks mostly resting on your stomach or sides, getting up occasionally to limber up the muscles, but avoiding things that place stress on the healing tissues.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

How to optimize fat survival after a Brazilian butt lift?

+2

This is a question you should've discussed with your plastic surgeon (I assume that you went to a board certified plastic surgeon) prior to your surgery. There are factors that you have no control over, such as, the surgical technique, how the fat was harvested, prepared for injection and injection technique of the surgeon, just to name a few variables. What you can do after surgery, is to minimize crushing the fat. Remember, this is a free graft, nonvascular and the recipient site is responsible for growing blood vessels into the grafts. I forbid my patients to lie in the supine position for 7-10 days, do not sit on the buttocks, sit on the back of the thighs and lean forward if you have to sit or stand. Do not smoke and do not be in the presence of smokers (this causes vasoconstriction, poor oxygen levels and increased fat death). You are 4 days out from your surgery, so hopefully you did what I suggested above. Talk to your surgeon.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Fat Volume Survival After Brazilian Butt Lift is Variable

+2

How much your injected fat will survive after a Brazilian Butt Lift will not be influenced by anything you do, short of significant weight loss. How the fat was prepared, concentrated and then injected will determine its fate.  There are likely other influencing factors on fat graft survival, such as the harvest site of the fat and its innate genetics, that we do not have knowledge of today yet. This is an issue that is beyond your control. Fat survival after injection anywhere can not be predicted with any certainty, particularly when the volume injected is large as in buttock enlargement procedures.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Fat Survival Rate

+1
Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us.

In my patients, they can expect between 60-80% of the fat to survive.  The survival rate depends both on the genetics of your body and the skill of the surgeon.  Post surgery, you should follow the plan laid out to you by your surgeon, and avoid putting pressure on your backside (sitting) when possible.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

- Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Constantino G. Mendieta, MD

How to enhance fat survival after a Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

Fat survival following buttock augmentation is dependent upon multiple factors. The surgical technique involved in procuring the fat is very important. Thses include prssures that were used as well as processing and injecting the fat, none of which you have control of. Postop I suggest to my patients not to sit for prolonged periods of time on thewir buttocks during the first 4-5 days so as not to put excess pressure on the very sensitive fat cellls which do not yet have a blood supply. There may be other factors that we do not yet comrehend such as the existence of fat cells that are programmed to survive. I am sure that you rsurgeon explained to, you prior to surgery, of the possible need for a second fat grafting procedure.

George Lefkovits, MD