Are Fat Injections in Lips Really Permanent?

I've tried popular fillers in the past but they only last for 1 month. I'm looking for something permenant but not an implant. I've read that some people saw the fat reabsorbed within a few months while others claimed an average 50% remains permenantly. What is the truth? Will it be lumpy? How much should I expect to spend on this procedure?

Lip Enchancement with Fat Injections

+1

Fat injection is a good option for non-surgical facial rejuvenation, including lip augmentation. Fat may provide natural, soft enhancement of the upper and lower lips.

However, there is a certain level of unpredictability with fat injections as always less than 100% of the fat survives long-term, so touch-ups may be required for some patients. In addition, small bumps or lumps may form. These side-effects may occur with many facial fillers too. Speak with a plastic surgeon who can provide a comprehensive evaluation and help determine appropriate options for you.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent Lip Fillers is NOT always permanently Good, it COULD BE Permanently Bad...

+1
The lip should be soft, mobile without inner scarring or stiffness. When using fillers a lot of people ASSUME that permanent fillers uniformly result in permanently attractive results. Nothing could be further from the truth. Permanent lip fillers are much more likely to beassociated with long-standing poor and hard to reverse results. As regards fat grafting to the lip, IF the fat takes, it is permannt. But, not all the fat takes and the areas where the fat does not survive, the fat may scar and become lumpy. All these pros and cons must be considered in picking your lip filler.

Fat can be permanent and you can always add more

+1

I agree with the other comments concerning the unpredictable nature of fat.  There are great studies that show about 30 percent of the fat stays in the midface over many years, but there are no great studies for the lips.  I have seen long lasting results, but if not, you can always add more fat. 

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting for the Lips

+1

Fat grafting is a great procedure but it is unpredictable.  When the fat does stay, it can leave very long lasting effects.  Areas around the mouth are less reliable than areas with less movement like the cheeks.  Results are dependent on the quality of your fat, your skin quality and the technique.  Price vary from location to location, so Manhattan prices will not be the same as those in Tampa.  Good luck with your procedure.  

David Shafer, MD

Fat injections of the lip

+1

There is an unpredictability of result from fat injection, especially of the highly mobile and active lip muscles. Some of my patients get no long term improvement with fat injections of the lip, and I have read reports on RealSelf.com of others that are not happy with the large lips they have, or bumps. It is always better to be conservative and place just enough fat to look good, and add more later if needed than to try to reduce a large lip.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fat transfer and graft via injection to the lips

+1

Currently the only "permanent fillers" available for injection are off label indications of Artefill and Silikon. However, permanent fillers can lead to permanent problems. Injection techniques vary. Fat CAN be permanent as has been shown by individuals who experience enlargement of their lips with weight gain 5 or more years after fat transfer. However, this is not consistent and survival varies among individuals.