Are Fat Injections in Lips Really Permanent?

I've tried popular fillers in the past but they only last for 1 month. I'm looking for something permenant but not an implant. I've read that some people saw the fat reabsorbed within a few months while others claimed an average 50% remains permenantly. What is the truth? Will it be lumpy? How much should I expect to spend on this procedure?

Lip Augmentation with Fat Transfer?

Fat transfer is a great treatment that can be used in a variety of ways. Fat has become a vital part of facial rejuvenation. I use fat in almost every facelift or eyelid surgery that I do because of the natural and youthful appearance that it can add to the results of your surgery.

Lip augmentation has become very popular over the past few years. When lip augmentations are done correctly they can add a very youthful, attractive appearance to the face. One of the common complaints of lip injections is that they tend to go away faster then patients would like.

Fat is a great alternative to fillers as it is going to last much longer. The benefit of the fat is that it is going to last for years to come rather than the six to nine months that the majority of fillers last.

I would not say that they will replace fillers as fillers and fat all have their place. Fillers are a great start for patients so that they can get feel for the rejuvenation that they can expect from adding volume. Also fillers are a great quick fix as they can be done in the office in as little as ten minutes.

Fat grafting give patients more options if they want a more long-term solution or I have many patients that like fat because it is natural and from their own body.

I hope this helps, please consult your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Lip Enchancement with Fat Injections

Fat injection is a good option for non-surgical facial rejuvenation, including lip augmentation. Fat may provide natural, soft enhancement of the upper and lower lips.

However, there is a certain level of unpredictability with fat injections as always less than 100% of the fat survives long-term, so touch-ups may be required for some patients. In addition, small bumps or lumps may form. These side-effects may occur with many facial fillers too. Speak with a plastic surgeon who can provide a comprehensive evaluation and help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent Lip Fillers is NOT always permanently Good, it COULD BE Permanently Bad...

The lip should be soft, mobile without inner scarring or stiffness. When using fillers a lot of people ASSUME that permanent fillers uniformly result in permanently attractive results. Nothing could be further from the truth. Permanent lip fillers are much more likely to beassociated with long-standing poor and hard to reverse results. As regards fat grafting to the lip, IF the fat takes, it is permannt. But, not all the fat takes and the areas where the fat does not survive, the fat may scar and become lumpy. All these pros and cons must be considered in picking your lip filler.

Fat can be permanent and you can always add more

I agree with the other comments concerning the unpredictable nature of fat.  There are great studies that show about 30 percent of the fat stays in the midface over many years, but there are no great studies for the lips.  I have seen long lasting results, but if not, you can always add more fat. 

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting for the Lips

Fat grafting is a great procedure but it is unpredictable.  When the fat does stay, it can leave very long lasting effects.  Areas around the mouth are less reliable than areas with less movement like the cheeks.  Results are dependent on the quality of your fat, your skin quality and the technique.  Price vary from location to location, so Manhattan prices will not be the same as those in Tampa.  Good luck with your procedure.  

David Shafer, MD

Fat injections of the lip

There is an unpredictability of result from fat injection, especially of the highly mobile and active lip muscles. Some of my patients get no long term improvement with fat injections of the lip, and I have read reports on of others that are not happy with the large lips they have, or bumps. It is always better to be conservative and place just enough fat to look good, and add more later if needed than to try to reduce a large lip.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat transfer and graft via injection to the lips

Currently the only "permanent fillers" available for injection are off label indications of Artefill and Silikon. However, permanent fillers can lead to permanent problems. Injection techniques vary. Fat CAN be permanent as has been shown by individuals who experience enlargement of their lips with weight gain 5 or more years after fat transfer. However, this is not consistent and survival varies among individuals.