Can Fat Be Absorbed Through the Skin when Applying Moisturiser?

Some moisturizers contain things like coconut oil which is high is saturated fat. Read a study which shows that preterm babies can absorb fat through their skins. Is there a risk of absorbing unhealthy fats through your skin when applying moisturizer, which may raise for example high density lipoprotein or triglyceride levels?

No fat absorbtion through the skin

While it is possible that some fat cold be absorbed through the skin of pre-term babies, whio have very thin skin, it would be absorbed into the blood stream and metabolized. In adults the skin is a very effective barrier to absorbtion and it seems highly unlikely that any significant amounts could be taken up.

6100 219th St SW
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

Fat Absorbed through the skin

I haven't heard of fat being absorbed through the skin from skin moisture products.  To my knowledge, you should not have a problem with that.  Consult with your board certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist on a routine basis.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

Fat absorption through skin is not something that has been reported in the medical literature. A dermatologist consultation may confirm that.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004