Can Fat Be Absorbed Through the Skin when Applying Moisturiser?

Some moisturizers contain things like coconut oil which is high is saturated fat. Read a study which shows that preterm babies can absorb fat through their skins. Is there a risk of absorbing unhealthy fats through your skin when applying moisturizer, which may raise for example high density lipoprotein or triglyceride levels?

No fat absorbtion through the skin

+2

While it is possible that some fat cold be absorbed through the skin of pre-term babies, whio have very thin skin, it would be absorbed into the blood stream and metabolized. In adults the skin is a very effective barrier to absorbtion and it seems highly unlikely that any significant amounts could be taken up.

Fat Absorbed through the skin

+2

I haven't heard of fat being absorbed through the skin from skin moisture products.  To my knowledge, you should not have a problem with that.  Consult with your board certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist on a routine basis.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

No

+1

Fat absorption through skin is not something that has been reported in the medical literature. A dermatologist consultation may confirm that.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon