Fastest Treatment for Chemical Burn on Face?

I used a microdermabrasion product last night, and then later, a facial depilatory cream. When I went to sleep, my face was fine. I woke up with redness and blotches. It doesn't hurt at all; it just feels warm. I tried putting calming moisturizer and it stung a little, so I've just been using very cold washcloths instead.

I'll be in a wedding tomorrow. How can I reduce the redness quickly without making things worse? Aloe? Vaseline? Hydrocortisone cream? Neosporin?

Is it safe to wear makeup over the burn?

You may have redness from both irritation and the microdermabrasion effect

+1

Thanks for your question.

It sounds like you might have just done a little too much too close to the wedding. But, don't worry, you can do a couple things to help make it appear a little better. First, the microdermabrasion caused redness through both irritation and the micropeeling effect. Second, the depilatory cream may have added to this irritation. Your goal at this point should be to provide a very moisturizing environment to the area, and to use an agent to calm down the inflammation as much as possible.

So, I would recommend the following. Get some aquaphor and use it continuously throughout the day today. In addition, get hydrocortisone 1% ointment over the counter and apply it 4 times today - but only today. If you can get a prescription, you can do Aclovate or Desonide twice a day today, but in absence of getting in contact with your dermatologist, do the hydrocortisone.

I understand that ointments are greasy and shiny, but today is your one day to make as much progress as possible. The ointment will provide a natural healing base, and ointments are nearly always stronger than creams. To answer your final question, you can wear make up tomorrow, but in the long run after the wedding, it may lead to some acne as it may clog up your pores that were affected by the microdermabrasion. My advice is to use Clinique, but you can use any other type of non-comedogenic makeup. Stay away from MAC!

Have fun at the wedding tomorrow and good luck!

Beverly Hills Dermatologist