Microdermabrasion for Smoothing Rough Hands?

Three of my fingers on the palm side of my hand have had chronic rough/irritated skin (they have been like this for years now). I would like to smooth out some of the rough/dead skin, but I don't want to irritate the skin on my fingers anymore than necessary. Will microdermabrasion work for this? What are my other treatment options?

Microdermabrasion for rough hands

+1

I don't think microdermabrasion is a good option for your hands at all. You should see your dermatologist for a definitive diagnosis, and in most cases a medicated cream or two will solve your problem at far less cost and risk. 

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Several options for rough hands

+1

Thanks for your question.

It depends on what the diagnosis of your condition is, and what the cause is. If it is something called Lichen Simplex Chronicus, thickened skin from continual irritation and scratching, then microdermabrasion might just irritate it more. A steroid would be a more appropriate choice.

If it is just hyperkeratosis due to overuse or pressure, or even another reason, then a better option might be to do Urea 40-50% cream twice daily, preferably after soaking in warm water. In addition, I would encourage the use of a pumice stone or a lava rock twice weekly to remove the dead thickened skin.

It might be worth your time to see a good dermatologist and get the correct diagnosis as well as a personalized treatment plan.

Good luck!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist