Do All Breast Implants Look Fake when Lying Down?

I'm looking into BA and I've decided that I want silicone due to a more natural feel when under the muscle (I'm an A cup, so it's going under the muscle), and I think I want anatomical/teardrop because of it's more natural shape... but I was wondering if all breast implants look fake when the woman lies down? That's what I worry about the most. Or does a certain type look less fake than another? Thank you for any answers!

Implants and natural look

+2

If the implant fits your body and tissues, it should look fairly natural when lying down, regardless of which type of implant is placed.  Very large implants are more obvious when lying down.  Going with silicone under the muscle sounds perfect for your body type, and the decision to use an anatomic implant versus a round one needs to determined by your surgeon.  Good luck, /nsn.

Do All Breast Implants Look Fake when Lying Down? No

+1

Do All Breast Implants Look Fake when Lying Down? I am generally not a fan of the teardrop or antomic implant except in cases of reconstruction. They are generally textured and have a potential to rotate off axis increasing the potential for asymmetry

Breast implants can look very natural when lying down

+1

Hi there-

There is no reason you could not have an outcome that you find pleasing in all positions- but I would definitely stay away from anatomic (tear-drop) implants. 

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast implants and fake

+1

I certaily would avoid anatomic implants because they do not look that natural especially when they potentially can turn.  Smaller implants with more soft tissue coverage usually look more natural.

Natural breast augmentation

+1

Placing the implant under the muscle sounds right for you.  Anatomical tear drop or round implants have to be determined by your plastic surgeon.  The silicone implant round smooth is very natural under the muscle and would be my preference. 

With cosmetic enhancement surgery, the goal is to provide balance to the augmentated area.  If a misshaped(tear drop can rotate in the pocket) or overinflated high profile implant extends beyond the anatomic boundaries of the breast, it can look unnatural or fake. When you are lying down, this appearance can be magnified.

So speak with your plastic surgeon, and maybe you can find a provider with a photographic (ie Canfield 3D Vectra) simulation system to give you some idea of a final result.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

All implants do not look fake lying down.

+1

There are several points to be addressed.  First, tear drop/anatomical silicone implants are available in the US only in the highly cohesive/form stable type of silicone.  These implants are not FDA approved and  are only available through plastic surgeons participating in the FDA studies.  Mentor has the CPG implant and Allergan has the style 410 implant.  I think implants look fake when lying down when the pocket is too wide and the implant slips off to the side when the woman lies down.  Keep in mind that most natural breasts also fall to the side when lying down.  However, a pocket that is too wide will exacerbate this.  Too large implants necessitate a wide pocket, so be sure your surgeon chooses an implant which has a diameter that matches your breast width.  Good luck.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Laying Down With Breast Implants

+1

No, not all women with implants look fake when they lay down.  It all depends on the type of implant used, size, exisiting breast tissue, etc.  Certainly a saline implant overfilled alot will look more fake since it is firmer and does not form a more natural shape.    The anatomical saline implant will not do this either, since they are form stable - they stay the same shape at all times.  When you lay down, you want the implant to flatten some, just like natural breast tissue.  The implant that do the best are usually silicone implants that are not too big and sit in the pocket nicely without too much room to move off to teh sides, etc.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

all breast implants look fake when lying down

+1

NO! it is an appearance event. What you think are fake may look very natural to others. Seek 3 opinions to discuss with you.

From MIAMI DR. B

Breast implant appearance when supine

+1

In general, smaller implants tend to preserve the breast shape and look more 'natural'. With some augmentations, excessive dissection was done at the sides of the breast- allowing the implant to slide down the chest wall onto the side of the chest- this looks very unnatural.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Looking fake lying down

+1

This is an interesting question because as I've looked at this issue over many years experience and I've concluded that few breasts look good lying flat on your back. Breasts in non-teenagers and post-pregancy with any size all flatten and fall to the side. If they stayed up they would look fake. 

The other answer is that implants don't look fake, breasts with implants poorly done or poorly healed look fake because they look like a breast with an implant rather than a breast. Properly done saline filled implants can look just as natural as gels although they won't feel as natural where the muscle doesn't cover if the tissue coverage is not perfect. I would also disagree that anatomic/teardrop shape implants will look more natural. Properly sized and positioned round implants will look as good or better and have fewer contour risks and problems in nearly all cases. 

I would like to think that luck has as little to do as possible with the outcome. It is not currently possible to easily measure the size of a breast and it is not true that smaller breasts (in the sense of cup size) need smaller implants. It's all relative. Like fitting a dress or your foot in a shoe, implants are sized by the width of the breast and the relative gain is determined by the forward volume or profile of the implant. Two cup sizes of increase with a high profile implant will sometimes be hard to get to look natural but this can be determined by characteristics of the breast and looking at examples. If you stay with a mid-range profile in a round gel-filled implant that is properly sized and positioned you shouldn't have to worry about looking fake but few women have good looking contour of breasts lying on their back. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon