PhotoFacial For Flaky, Dry Skin?

I Have Extremely Dry Skin Generally, but on my Face This Flakes Terribly. Over my nose especially are always large white flakes of skin. I tried microdermabrasion- 6 sessions a yr and a half ago- made it even worse. Have been considering starting lactic chemical peel or glycolic or something stronger. I have sensitive skin and use products to suit my skin type, also moisturiser and sunblock. I am 60 yr old caucasian female. Would a fotofacial be helpful??

Photofacial

+1

A photofacial may not be too beneficial for your concerns.  I would recommend that you see a dermatologist for an evaluation and to discuss treatment options.

Photofacial

+1

A photofacial would be on minimal to no benefit.  You should see a Board Certified Dermatologist and diagnose your skin condition and receive a suitable medication.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Flaking facial skin may be a medical condition that can be fixed.

+1

Thirtyskin,

I do not know if you have been to a board-certified dermatologist to treat this condition, or if you have been going to medispas, but you may be wasting your money and only irritating your skin to make the condition worse and worse, by doing microdermabrasion and chemical peels.

This may actually be a common condition called seborrheic dermatitis, which can be managed gently by using specific prescription and over the counter creams that will actually treat the cause of the flaking, and not just the flaking itself.

Before you spend another dollar on a cosmetic treatment that gets you nowhere, see if a board-certified dermatologist can help you better manage this and give you tips for your overall skin health.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Consider seeing an actual dermatologist.

+1

Hi Thirstyskin

It amazes me how we make patient's practice medicine.  You obviously have a long term problem with your skin and have tried microdermabrasion for the condition without success and are now considering another treatment.  The skin is flaking because there is increased turn over of the skin.  This may be do to inflammation or some other issue.  Rather than prescribing your own treatment, consider see a dermatologist to evaluate your skin and make a recommendation.  You may have a medical condition that will benefit from actual treatment.