How soon can I Explant after Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation with 400cc high profile silicone under the muscle two weeks ago. Immediately I knew it was a mistake. It simply isn't me! The reason I had the augmentation was because I was having a tummy tuck at the same time and it seemed like the natural thing to do. BIG MISTAKE. I cannot stand the look of myself in the mirror. Now I wonder how soon I can have the explant, and what I can expect from my breasts--they were A cups, never pregnant/breast fed--will they go back?

Explantation after augmentation

+2
You can explant any time after augmentation. In the absence of complications, there really is no "minimum time" that has to pass from the perspective of safety. Typically it can be done under local anesthesia, especially facilitated via the inframammary incision. The problem with rushing into it is the fact that there are so many emotional ups and downs in the first few weeks after cosmetic surgery. (It's so common that an "emotion graph" is even in our software for patient education). I have seen patients who were very emotional and distraught at 2 weeks end up thrilled by the next visit at 6 weeks. If you were my patient I'd advise you to wait until the 6 week visit before committing to implant removal. You have a lot invested and should be 100% certain before you proceed. I perform awake intraoperative downsizing in some cases, allowing my patient to choose the smaller implant she prefers. Is it possible that might also be an option for you rather than explantation? If so, discuss that possibility with your surgeon. Best luck!  

Explantation

+1
While you can remove them at any time, you may want to wait about 3-4 months for your breasts to settle before assessing your results. At this time, your breasts are still settling and may look odd due to their shape, but once they settle, they'll take on a more natural shape.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

How soon can I explant my breast implants?

+1
Dear brownblonde, I'm sorry you are finding yourself facing such dilemma.  The good news is that the breast implants can be removed any time now.  In order to avoid deformity due to stretching of breast tissue it would be better to remove them sooner than later but on the other hand rushing into a removal so soon maybe a mistake and you know two wrongs don't make a right.  Maybe the size is the problem.  400cc high profile seems a little much for someone coming from an A cup size.  Maybe the thing to do is to go smaller on the size and consider a moderate profile implant that may be less voluptuous, something more you.

Juan A. Brou, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal

+1

There is not a problem with going back to surgery as soon as you like, keep in mind you are still swollen and the desired look may happen in a few months.

Contact your surgeon to discuss further.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Breast implants

+1
It might be too early to see the final result so often it is best to wait. But, if you really hate them, they can be removed at anytime.

When to explant

+1

This is obviously a discussion you need to have with your surgeon.  On the one hand we often hesitate to return to the OR too soon because you just had a general anesthetic and you are still recovering from your previous surgery.  Perhaps you will feel differently about your appearance when the swelling subsides, the implants settle and your breasts soften.  On the other hand, the longer the implants are in place the more stretching of the overlying tissues will occur.  There is no one right answer as this depends on a number of considerations that only you and your physician can determine.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon