Experienced pain after food was lodged in back teeth for days. Could it be infected?

Never had my wisdom teeth removed. In the very back of my top teeth I have space where food always gets stuck. Only thing that usually gets it out is a qtip. A week ago, I got something was stuck. I brushed my teeth normally for a week and started to feel pain in the inner jaw. I did my q tip routine and unwedged something. It's been a day and the pain is still in the fleshy part around my mouth though my teeth don't hurt. I wonder if this pain will just subside or could it be infected?

+1

The first question for you is how long has it been since your teeth have been checked by a dentist and you have had your teeth cleaned and polished by a dental hygienist? If it has been over six months, suggest that be your first order of business.

Yes, you could have food and bacteria wedged under the gums and an abscess beginning to form. Usually a healthy mouth will heal up quickly, if unhealthy it could take days or weeks and you might have some other underlying problem. Best to have it looked at by your dentist.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Experienced pain after food was lodged in back teeth for days

+1

First make sure that there is nothing else trapped. Rinse with warm salt water for a couple of days. If pain does not decrease, see a dentist.

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist

Infected

+1

Absolutely.

Likely periodontal acute abscessing.

Very destructive. Act quickly.

Likely needs anesthesia and some sort of minor treastment to clear out any food debris or infected tissue

Mark J. Amidei, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist