Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

Can I exercise after rhinoplasty? By this I mean heavy weightlifting, intensive training and protein intake.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

I recommend that patients discontinue exercise for at least 3 weeks following a rhinoplasty procedure. Over exerting yourself too quickly after surgery could potentially compromise your outcome. Many of my patients are very active and express how hard it is wait for 3 whole weeks, but it's necessary to give your body an appropriate amount of time to heal. After three weeks, patients are often very excited to be able to work out, especially after patiently waiting, however it's important to start out slow. Even if you are an avid weightlifter, I wouldn't recommend lifting as much as you normally do on your first workout post surgery. I suggest that patients ease back into their normal exercise routines and to listen to their bodies. If something doesn't feel right you should stop what you are doing. I believe that giving your body enough time to recover after surgery helps to eliminate potential side effects and gives patients the best chance at achieving their most optimal result.

Exercise after rhinoplasty

I advise my patients to wait 2 weeks before resumption of activities that will raise their blood pressure.  This includes, running, weight training, playing sports, being intimate, etc.  After 2 weeks, I tell them to listen to their bodies.  If they exert themselves and their nose starts throbbing, that's their body's way to telling them to back off for a few more days. Exertion will increase swelling, but more importantly increases the risk of getting a nose bleed.  The first thing someone is going to want to do if you get a nose bleed is pinch your nose to try to get it to stop and that's obviously not optimal rhinoplasty aftercare.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to exercise after rhinoplasty? Use common sense.

Exercise increases your heart rate which increases your blood pressure. An increase blood pressure can pop off any clots that have formed and can cause bleeding. Furthermore, since the blood vessels after surgery are still somewhat leaky, the increase blood pressure can cause increased swelling. That being said, every person heals differently.  

I recommend no exercise for two weeks and then gradually returning to exercise using common sense. If you strain your ankle and it hurt when you ran but did not hurt if you walked or walked fast, then you might exercise by having a long walk. If it didn't If you jogged, you consider jogging. If it still hurt when you ran, you wouldn't run.

Similarly, as you increase your exercise after the first two weeks, if you notice pain and pressure swelling or pleading from the nose, then what you've done is too much. So follow simple common sense and you might be able to get back to your normal exercise routine sooner than you think.

Philip Miller, MD

Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

Thank you for your question. I recommend 4-6 weeks prior to resuming strenuous activities after rhinoplasty. Depending on the procedure and the individual recovery times can vary. It is also important to remember that rhinoplasty is a complex procedure and allowing yourself adequate time to heal and recover will improve your chances of getting the results that you want.
Dr Guy Watts

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

One should not consider doing intensive exercising for at least 3 weeks postoperatively to minimize bruising, swelling and nasal bleeding.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Exercise after Rhinoplasty

It depends on the type of rhinoplasty (aka osteotomies, rib grafts, onlay grafts, revision, alar base only) to determine what type and what level of exertion you can exert.  In my practice, most patients can resume exercise on a gradual basis with the caveat that the nose is not "bounced" during the activity.   For these patients, a gradual increase in level of exertion goes from 0% to 25% to 50% to 75% to 100% over a span of 4-5 week postoperatively.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Intense exercise after rhinoplasty

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. The amount of downtime varies greatly as well.

Typically, somewhere between 4-6 weeks, you can return to strenuous activities including intense exercise and weight lifting. At this point, it should not cause any damage to your nose.

You should clarify with your surgeon what restrictions you have and when you can return to exercise and strenuous activities.

6 Weeks After Surgery

I normally recommend patients wait until 6 weeks after surgery. This is for strenuous physical activity and swimming as well.

May Take Up To 8 Weeks To Return To Exercise Following Rhinoplasty

Patients who undergo rhinoplasty are often eager to resume their normal exercise routine. Unfortunately, any maneuver that elevates blood pressure in the immediate post-operative period can result in bleeding. This risk increases when septoplasty is performed in combination with rhinoplasty.

For this reason, we recommend avoiding most exertion for about two weeks following surgery. Strenuous activities such as running and weight lifting should be avoided for six to eight weeks following surgery.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon before resuming exercise. Your surgeon will be able to tell you when it’s appropriate to resume your normal exercise routine. 

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

I would abstain from any cardio or workout exercise until 2 weeks of recovery, you may still have swelling. I would be Cautious so you don't cause any trauma.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon