Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

Can I exercise after rhinoplasty? By this I mean heavy weightlifting, intensive training and protein intake.

Exercise after Rhinoplasty

+1
It depends on the type of rhinoplasty (aka osteotomies, rib grafts, onlay grafts, revision, alar base only) to determine what type and what level of exertion you can exert.  In my practice, most patients can resume exercise on a gradual basis with the caveat that the nose is not "bounced" during the activity.   For these patients, a gradual increase in level of exertion goes from 0% to 25% to 50% to 75% to 100% over a span of 4-5 week postoperatively.  

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Intense exercise after rhinoplasty

+1
Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. The amount of downtime varies greatly as well.

Typically, somewhere between 4-6 weeks, you can return to strenuous activities including intense exercise and weight lifting. At this point, it should not cause any damage to your nose.

You should clarify with your surgeon what restrictions you have and when you can return to exercise and strenuous activities.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

6 Weeks After Surgery

+1
I normally recommend patients wait until 6 weeks after surgery. This is for strenuous physical activity and swimming as well.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

May Take Up To 8 Weeks To Return To Exercise Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Patients who undergo rhinoplasty are often eager to resume their normal exercise routine. Unfortunately, any maneuver that elevates blood pressure in the immediate post-operative period can result in bleeding. This risk increases when septoplasty is performed in combination with rhinoplasty.

For this reason, we recommend avoiding most exertion for about two weeks following surgery. Strenuous activities such as running and weight lifting should be avoided for six to eight weeks following surgery.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon before resuming exercise. Your surgeon will be able to tell you when it’s appropriate to resume your normal exercise routine. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

+1

I would abstain from any cardio or workout exercise until 2 weeks of recovery, you may still have swelling. I would be Cautious so you don't cause any trauma.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait two weeks after rhinoplasty to resume exercising

+1
It is a good idea not to perform any exercise after a rhinoplasty for at least two weeks. Heavy weightlifting should probably be avoided for three weeks after surgery to prevent and avoid a nosebleed.

Minimize heavy activity for a couple weeks after rhinoplasty surgery

+1

As others have already stated, avoid all strenuous activity, especially heavy weight lifting or intensive training.

Any activity which elevates your blood pressure or causes Valsalva effect may exacerbate and cause bruising, at worst even frank bleeding. Strenuous activities to avoid include, but are not limited to running, exercise, weight lifting, pilates, aerobics, cycling, climbing, and sex. Yoga should be avoided too. Patients should even avoid straining on the toilet! Your plastic surgeon will inform you when you can resume normal activity. Most patients may resume regular activities within a couple weeks.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to start heavy exercise after rhinoplasty

+1

3 weeks is the minimum. Heavy weight lifting increases your blood pressure and especially pressure in the face and nose area if you are holding your breath (valsalva maneuver). That can cause a nose bleed. Also if a weight falls on your nose in the first 3 weeks, the likelihood of breaking it is great. It takes about 3 weeks for nasal bones to heal enough to withstand some mild trauma.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise is fine once cleared by your Surgeon

+1

Typically, I let my rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty patients resume exercise starting gradually in the 2nd week after surgery. I tell them to ease back into their regimens, but to delay any heavy bending, straining, or lifting for the 3rd week. Elliptical machines are particularly great for post-rhinoplasty exercise since there is very little jarring or impact and no bending. Once patients get 21 days out from surgery and I've cleared them, they may resume normal activities as they are able.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not for 4-6 weeks

+1

Hi Gabriela,

Patients who have had rhinoplasty must avoid leaning forward, pushing, pulling, or lifting more than 5 pounds for several weeks after surgery. I typically let my patients go back to non-bouncing light aerobic exercise two weeks after surgery letting them know that their nose may swell a bit. Intensive weight training will need to be avoided for around 6 weeks because of risk of injuring the nose. In the end, anything that raises your blood pressure is off limits because of the negative effect on your nose.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon