Does Exercise Affect Healing After Smart Lipo?

What is the rule for exercise after Smart Lipo and does exercise impact how tight the skin can heal to the muscle wall and potentially cause dimpling or pockets?

I just had my second Smart Lipo procedure. I had to repeat it on my abdomen because there was some loose skin, and pockets of fat near the belly button. I have been reading different things from different doctor's re: exercise after. I was told I could walk afterwards and should, does that mean a light walk or a hike?

The reason I want to know is that some sites say no activity for 2 to 6 weeks and others say exercise is fine after 10-14 days if you feel fine as long as you wear your compression garment. I am afraid my activity prevented the skin from healing tightly to the muscle wall the first time and this is why I had "dimpling".

Can I exercise lightly (light machine assisted weights and/or light walking) after 10-14 days with a compression garment on? Will this impact how smoothly or tightly the skin heals back to the muscle wall? Or does anything that causes my stomach muscles to work negatively impact how tight the skin will heal back after Smart Lipo? Any help is appreciated.

Go ahead and exercise after 14 days

+3

Aftre 14 days, it is fine to exercise after any kind of liposuction. Unfortunately, it sounds as though you were "sold" on the erroneous idea that Smart lipo could cause your skin to shrink better than it is naturally capable of doing. No science backs this up and what you are probably seeing is the limit of your own skin elasticity. Wear your garment, exercise after 14 days if approved by your doctor, and wait 3-4 months to see your final result. If it isn't to your satisfaction, it is probably as good as it is going to get with liposuction, Smart or traditional.

Exercise and Recovery after Smart Lipo

+1

Information about Smart and other Liposuction techniques  Recovery
Here is the information I give my patients regarding the recovery process after liposuction including Smart Lipo: 

As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first few days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.  Much of the swelling and bruising will be improved within two weeks; however, some will persist for six to eight weeks.  It is often difficult to see permanent changes in the body shape before this time.
Most patients are instructed to wear an elastic garment from four to six weeks to help with skin shrinkage. Your plastic surgeon will tell you how long you should wear your elastic garment. For patients with poor skin elasticity Endermologie treatments may be recommended.
Normal activity may be resumed at after 2 weeks post operation to tolerance.  In general, patients may return to office work 3-5 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the 14th day, in order to minimize the adhesions between the skin and the deeper tissues. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.
Early results are seen 10-14 days after surgery, but improvement continues for 4-6 months.  Persistent swelling and irregularities may be present for several months.  If antibiotics are prescribed, they should be taken as directed.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.