What is an Abdominal "6-pack" Implant?

I've seen a few cosmetic surgeon's websites that do abdominal "6-pack" implants--mainly for men--but I'd like to know more about the procedure, if it's available for women and how new is it? Thank you.

6 Pack Abs- how to attain with ab sculpting

+2

The best way to attain a six pack abdomen is to diet and work out. 

Surgically, ab sculpting can create the suggestion of striations and can be very effective, especially in patients whose rectus muscle striations do not show well. 

Ab sculpting can create the appearance of a six pack in anybody, even heavyset people with a "beer belly" configuration.  However, the look of a six pack in a heavyset person is just not believable.  It looks like a fat person with a Superman costume on.

Plastic surgery should appear natural and believable.

As for a six pack implant, this exists to my knowledge only on Nip-Tuck.

Abdominal Six-Pack Implants

+1

Hi there-

While there are safe and effective ways to improve abdominal muscle definition in carefully selected patients, what you describe sounds like a clever marketing strategy rather than an accepted plastic surgical technique.

I would also echo Dr. Rand's concern... Unfortunately the world is becoming crowded with "Cosmetic Surgeons"- and many of these are NOT Plastic Surgeons. In Orlando where I practice, there are gynecologists, eye doctors, Emergency Room doctors, and even a family practice doctor all saying they are "Cosmetic Surgeons" (!).

It is very important to be sure you are dealing with someone who actually completed the many years long education and training process that Board Certified Plastic Surgeons complete.

Here's some more information on how to choose a quality well-trained surgeon:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

"6 pack implants (WTF)"

+1

That is a direct quote from a chat forum where lay persons talked about the horrendous appearance of 6 pack implants. I could not personally find the before and after photos and, in fact, had never heard of 6 pack implants until your question.

As you can see, my colleague board certified plastic surgeons are NOT proponents, and I would venture to say that most of them had never heard of it either. As you well know, many structures can be enhanced with implants, including the breasts, buttocks and calves.

The difference between an implant placed in the breast, chest, buttock or calf and your "6 pack implant" is that ALL of the other implants are placed on a solid structure platform, the chest wall, the buttock muscles, the calf muscles, even though they are covered by muscle as well. An abdominal implant placed under the rectus (abdominal) muscles would have only intestines and visceral organs as its platform, none of which would allow the implant to be supported and visible from the outside.

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Abdominal 6 pack implant

+1

The only abdominal 6 pack implant that I have ever seen is the one that goes into the Superman costume my son wore for Halloween!  Some surgeons can sculpt the "6-pack" a bit with liposcution.

The abdominal 6 pack implant

+1

I am guessing but this may be a play on words to appeal to the marketing of the procedure. It is more likely a reflection of a modified lipoetching procedure possibly with lipoiinjection not unlike the Brazilian Butt Lift.

6 pack implant?

+1

This sounds like a joke, there would be so many problems with something like this even if it did exist that you would be wise to stay away and lower your body fat to single digits and work the abs like crazy. Remember that a "cosmetic" surgeon is not necessarily a board certified plastic surgeon and may have no real training at all. Be ware!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS