Exercise After Breast Augmenation (insanity/p90x)?

It has been 6 weeks since my under the muscle silicone implants. Is it safe to do upper body weights? I also want to do the Insanity workout dvds which are very high intensity workouts with a lot of pushups, running, jumping jacks, etc. At what time would it be safe to begin that? Thanks

Might be okay now but ask your surgeon

By this time, I'd say it's safe for you to proceed as long as you wear a good sports bra. However, you should ask your surgeon first as they may have different guidelines.Make sure to start off slowly and build up intensity gradually.

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Vigorous Exercise After Breast Augmentation, Check With Your Surgeon

Thank you for your question.It is very important that you check with the plastic surgeon who performed your breast augmentation and follow the surgeons advice as to when you can begin vigorous physical activity after your breast augmentation.

As a general rule I allow my patients to begin vigorous physical activity at 3-4 weeks after breast augmentation if they have had an uneventful recovery, have healed well, have no complications or problems, and if the physical activitydoes not cause discomfort.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Exercise after breast implants

Great question. I allow my patients to return to exercising 4-6 weeks after surgery, but I have them start with light exercises.  I suggest they increase they're intensity by about 10-20% a week until they reach their goal. P90X and Insanity workouts are pretty vigorous, so I definitely suggest you check with your PS before proceeding.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best.

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

1903 East Fir Avenue
Fresno, CA 93720

Exercise after Breast Surgery

Always consult with your surgeon for the "green light" for exercise after surgery.  He may want you to start out with a lighter workout.   Every patient is different.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

Insanity / P90x after Breast Surgery

I would highly suggest that you ask your surgeon and follow his/her advice in regards to doing these types of workouts.  If your recovery has been uneventful, your surgeon may give you the green light to proceed with these types of exercises but I would ask that you listen to your body and start slowly.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Returning to Working Out After Breast Augmentation

P90x etc workouts are quite strenuous and pushups are a challenging exercise. Thus, I would proceed with caution and make sure that you wear 1-2 sports bras during the impact routines. Weights are more controlled and adjustable, where as these routines are complex and off balance on purpose. At 6 weeks, you should be able to proceed in an unrestricted manner but be careful - if it hurts, stop.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

1431 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014

Exercise after breast implants.

You should ask your surgeon for specific advice on their recommendations as they are the  person who knows you best.  In general, I have my patients start exercise as tolerated after two to three weeks and increase the intensity over time.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Exercise After Breast Augmentation

My patients are told that with a normal recovery they may resume all levels of exercise six weeks after subpectoral breast augmentation.  Some plastic surgeons allow earlier return, others wait up to twelve weeks.  I have many patients who participate in the Insanity and P90X routines and have yet to see any complication arising from their return to these exercise regimens.  

If you notice any thing that appears 'unusual' after you resume exercise, you should contact your plastic surgeon immediately to assure that you are continuing to heal properly.

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

1905 Clint Moore Rd
Boca Raton, FL 33496

Exercise after breast augmentation

I tell my patients that as long as they heal normally, they should be able to do almost any activity 6 weeks after surgery. Push ups, running, etc. should not be any problem. I would still be slightly cautious with extreme weight lifting, but the insanity and P90X programs use your own body weight and are not based on extreme weights, so you should be able to start your insanity now if you like.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

300 Keisler Drive
Cary, NC 27518