Can You Exercise After Botox or Will It Decrease the Results?

Can You Exercise After Botox  or Will It Decrease the Results

Dangers of Exercise After Botox

+3

Botox paralyzes the small segment of the muscle into which it is placed. The physician who fully understands the facial anatomy can thereby selectively pick which exact muscle segments he wants to weaken thereby creating a more restful and youthful look. What we try to avoid at all costs of the migration of Botox from the areas we placed them to other areas, most notably the muscle lifting the upper lid. If this were to happen yopu will get a long lasting very tired, droopy upper lid look.  Although the muscle blockade DOES begin shortly after the injection, rubbing and pressure on the injected areas can dislodge the Botox. As a result, many Plastic surgeon warn their patients against rubbing, bending over and exertion for the same reason your mother told you not to play with matches or go swimming after eating; simple understandable instruction that limit potential complications.

Exercise after Botox

+1
Exercising after Botox is possible as long as you do not overly exert. You should discuss your planned workout with your injector.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox & Exercise - Dos & Donts

+1

It's not unusual for patients with transverse forehead wrinkles, vertical frown lines , and crow’s feet to undergo treatment with botox. Unfortunately, botox can occasionally migrate to the surrounding structures. This can occur for a variety of reasons including alterations in the hemodynamic status of the patient.

Strenuous exercise increases cardiac output and systemic blood flow. In theory, this has the potential to increase blood flow to the injection site and remove botox from this location. This ultimately diminishes the response to botox and increases the potential for migration of botox and secondary complications.

Although no scientific studies are currently available to address this issue, conventional wisdom suggests that strenuous activity should not be undertaken for at least 24 hours following botox treatment.

If you have questions regarding this issue, you should consult your physician. Although the post injection management of botox varies from provider to provider, you should definitely understand your provider’s post injection protocol.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Best NOT to exercise right after Botox or Dysport treatments

+1
There are two reasons not to exercise right after Botox or Dysport treatments. I allow my patients to exercise the morning of treatment before they come in (ideally not RIGHT before coming in), but not later the same day. They are allowed to resume exercise, for the most part except in special cases, the following day. Exercise increases circulation in the body, including the face, which is why your face flushes and gets red when you work out. This increased circulation is great for your skin, but it does increase the risk that the Botox will be taken away from the injection zone before it gets fully absorbed into the neuromuscular junction. We don't like this for two reasons: 1) it may leave less Botox where we want it, and possibly decrease the effect, and 2) we do not want to do anything that increases the risk that the Botox will act anywhere other than where it is intended.

For this reason, I am strict about no exercise after treatment. I do make patients cancel their personal training sessions and Soul Cycle classes, even if they can't get a refund. Be warned!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Does exercise decrease the result of BOTOX

+1
I tell my patients to avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours.
This is to avoid increased muscle activity and the rush of blood into the area.
I believe this prevents dispersion and migration of the Botox, which makes it effective and longer lasting.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

The Effects of Exercise on Botox and Results

+1

Some patients may be advised by their physicians to avoid strenuous activity right after their procedure. However this period is usually no longer than a day. It is best for individuals to follow the advice and directions of their doctor regarding this time frame.

Aside from this, exercise should have no effect on the performance of Botox.

Botox basically blocks sites on the nerve fibers where acetylcholine is released. This chemical communicates with muscles causing them to contract. The injection essentially targets nerve fibers. So exercise should not effect the performance of Botox.  

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise after Botox

+1

Hi Cory in Chi Town~

The manufacturer recommends no exercise or lying flat for four hours following the administratiion of Botox injections.  This is supposed to create a better outcome.

Dr. David Alessi

David Alessi, MD

Exercise after Botox treatments

+1

As other panel members suggested, we recommend that our post-Botox patients avoid exercise and lying flat for four hours following their treatment.  We believe this is not an unreasonable recommendation if it may benefit your outcome and protect your financial investment.  The manufacturer has made this a recommendation as well and whether or not there are "studies" to confirm this does not detract from the possible benefits of adhering to this.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Yes you can exercise after botox.

+1

Conventional thinking has been to avoid exercise for a few hours, to theoretically minimize any chance of it moving.

Having said that, to the best of my knowledge there are no studies showing it is a concern. Furthermore we have had plenty of anectodal reports from patients who see no interference from exercise.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

How soon can you exercise after Botox injection?

+1

We don’t recommend extensive exercise after Botox injections. i.e. straining or even facials for at least six hours after injections. Exercise will not decrease the results; you just don’t want any manipulation of the injected areas that could potentially lead to the Botox migrating or spreading out further than where you want it.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon