How Long After Getting Botox Can I Get More if I'm Not Seeing Much Change?

I have deep forehead creases and I got my first botox treatment (12 units) about 7 days ago. I am noticing a slight change but not much. How long should I wait to get another treatment? 7 days, 14 days, etc?

Botox can be reinjected one to two weeks later

+3

If your lines are there but your muscles are not moving at all, then the Botox was successful in relaxing the muscles and you should not need more units.  If you are patient and await time to have the skin folds diminish now that the skin is no longer creasing repetitively, and you repeat the Botox before the muscles wake up around three to four months, you may see improvement in the lines.  If however, the muscles are still active then the Botox may not be completely effective and you should wait one more week to see its full effect, after which more units may be injected if there is no change.  The glabellar area may need up to 25 units, or more, in some women. Your doctor may choose to add units in small quantities to titrate up to the correct cumulative dose for you for this session, and the next full treatment you would receive more units than the 12 you had your first treatment.

10-14 days

+2

While you can see some benefits of Botox at 7 days I recommend waiting for 10-14 days to see maximum results before going back in to consult with your physician about touching up or getting more Botox. 

Jason Miller, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Botox® usually reaches maximum benefit after 2 weeks.

+2

Botox® usually reaches its maximum benefit anywhere from 7-14 days after it’s injected.  You should be seeing some improvement after the first week.  If you are not seeing the results you’d like after a couple of weeks,  you will likely need to be re-treated.

Missy Clifton, MD
Bentonville Dermatologist

Additional Botox after Treatment

+2

Sometimes it take about 10 days see the maximum effect of Botox treatment; therefore I would wait about 2 weeks before getting supplemental injections

Two weeks for touch-up

+2

While Botox ususally takes about five to seven days to "kick in", you may want to give it two full weeks before seeing a touch-up.

+2

Technically anytime after a week but I typically have Botox, Dysport and Xeomin patients come back at 1 month for a booster treatment.

A couple of weeks is a good time frame.

+2

A good injector will be able to very accurately tell you how much BOTOX you need to treat a particular clinical concern.  When you do go in have them compare before and after photos so you can better understand the effects of the treatment.  If no before photos were taken, then you are getting service in the wrong office.

Peak effect after Botox treatment is seen at 2 weeks.

+2

Hi.

If you are not happy in another week or so, you can have more Botox.  12 units is not enough for deep forehead creases.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Forehead lines persisting after Botox

+2

There are three potential explanations to your situation.  First of all Botox should be evaluated any time after 7-14days after the injections so perhaps another week might be helpful.  Secondly, perhaps you were not injected with enough Botox, although this does not seem to be the case since twelve units is usually suficient for most patient's forehead. Lasty, is to distinguish between what we call static lines versus dynamic lines.  Botox and Dysport are effective on the underlying musculature and will prevent the contraction of the muscles into which it is injected.  Hence, the will reduce wrinkles (dynamic lines) caused by the contraction of the underlying muscles.  LInes that are present when the muscles are not contracted or relaxed are called static lines which Botox has only mild or minimal effects.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Botox Follow Up Treatment Protocol

+2

I typically recommend to my patients that they do the courtesy follow up botox appointment at one to two weeks after the initial treatment.  One week is the minimum as it usually takes up to one week to see the full result of the initial injections.  If they come in at one week or later, and there is still some movement, we touch it up with a little more botox, at no additional cost to the patient.  

Channing R. Barnett, MD