Enamel Erosion After ZOOM Whitening

I had a Zoom whitening procedure in late February, and have noticed my teeth are becoming more and more transparent. I noticed the transparency at the bottom tips of my teeth and a dark gray tint for the past few months. I'm curious if this could be caused by the Zoom procedure since I have never had any dental problems prior to the treatment. My teeth were only white for about a week after the treatment, then I noticed small changes here and there.

Zoom Whitening and enamel damage

+2

Zoom whitening does NOT damage or erode enamel.  Especially after only having the procedure performed once.  Teeth normally have transparent “tips” (edges), you may not have noticed them before if they were stained.  I suggest you see a dentist for a quick evaluation.  Good Luck!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom whitening is safe in moderation

+2

One session of Zoom whitening would not cause your enamel to erode or become more transparent.

As for the transparency of your teeth or "thinning", there is another reson for this. You may be grinding your teeth at night and be unaware of this. I suggest you see your dentist to find out the cause.

As for the color regression, our teeth have pores like our skin does, so you must do upkeep. That includes a sonic toothbrush, regular cleanings, a whitening toothpaste with fluoride and some at home whitening touch ups

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Enamel erosion

+1

It would be a stretch to say that one session of Zoom whitening would be able to erode enamel.  Enamel is one of the hardest structures in the human body.  A more likely cause may be teeth grinding or bruxism.  You may want to have your dentist evaluate you for signs of grinding.

Daniel Beninato, DDS
Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

Bleaching and Enamel Damage

+1

The reason I chose the Zoom system for my practice is because of the amount of research that went into the product and the preventative measures that Discus Dental has put into place to protect patients receiving the procedure. Any minor changes that occur to your teeth due to Zoom whitening occur at the office on the day that you have the procedure and there is no progressive damage afterwards. The ACP gel that you receive actually remineralizes your enamel afterwards to help rebuild any effects of the bleaching. If you are seeing progressive changes to the size and color of your teeth, it is most likely a coincidence and there is another explanation (erosion due to lemons, soda, clenching, grinding, etc.). I would return to your dentist and have him or her examine your teeth to help you figure out what is going on, but I do not think it is related to Zoom at all.

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist