What Causes the Bright White Spots on Teeth

I just had 4 - 15 minute zoom whitening sessions this morning and 2 of my teeth just got a bright white spot on them. Looks worse than before the treatment. My bottom teeth did great but I'm very disappointed with the top. What causes these spots?

White spots on teeth

+4

The white spots on your teeth weren't caused by the whitening process.  In fact, they were there before your teeth were whitened, but were not as noticeable.  They are areas of hypo-calcified enamel, which unfortunately, won't disappear even after your teeth rehydrate.  

To eliminate these white spots completely involves a very specific process of remineralizing enamel.  The literature on this treatment is fairly new, but I have had great success in my own practice with this technique.  It involves treating your tooth surface with micro air-abrasion or etchant, and subsequent application of amorphous calcium phosphate every day for a period of 2 weeks.  After this initial 2 week period, you may see slight improvement or complete reversal of the white spot.  At this point in time, another treatment of micro air-abrasion or etchant may be necessary, followed by daily application of amorphous calcium phosphate.  You will likely see complete reversal of the white spots after this second round. 

If your dentist is not familiar with this technique and if it is something you are interested in, I'd be happy to speak with him/her about the specific details of the technique and/or refer him/her to the literature.  Good luck!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

White spots after Zoom

+4

Power bleaching often dries the teeth. Minor hypocalcification spots may become more noticeable immediately after whitening but will fade over the next few days as the teeth re-hydrate.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

White Spots on Teeth

+2

Prior to bleaching a patients teeth, they are closely examined for areas of enamel thinning, chemical erosion and hypo-calcification or chalky white spots. (The chalky white spots are caused by poor calcification of the enamel while the tooth is being formed.) Patients are advised and made aware of how these white spots will become more obvious during the early stages of bleaching. They become more obvious because the bleaching effects these areas first. Knowing this will occur, when patients proceed with bleaching , they are initially Zoomed and then in conjunction, use the take home trays for two weeks allowing the body of the tooth without the chalky spots to whiten, creating a good result.

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

White spots on teeth after whitening

+1

Whitening does not cause the white spots but they do become more apparent. Once the stain is exfoliated from the teeth the white spots which already existed become more prominent.  Since the tooth is dehydrated immediately after the procedure, the white spots are even more prominent.  As the tooth rehydrate over the next few days the white spots calm down and have a much better appear appearance.

Regards,

Peter Mann DDS

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist