Will Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles?

What do you think about using an electrical stimulation machine to firm up facial muscles? I'm on a facial exercise regimen - which I'm going to try for 4 mos & I also have a electrical muscle stimulator - which I'm using on my facial muscles - we'll see what happens.

Electrical stimulation to help lift the face and firm facial muscles

The verdict is still out on this one. We see patients with facial paralysis and its very obvious that  knocking out facial muscles causes severe droop in the face and around the eyes. Yet we also see muscle hypertrophy as an undesirable aging effect in the forehead, neck and jaw region. I think that eventually we will tailor our treatment plans to selectively train and firm up certain facial muscle groups with electro-stimulation and relax other groups with neuro-modulators to achieve the best results.

Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation (e-stim) for muscle growth or muscle bulk or as as substitute for resistance exercise

Electrical stimulation has been used to maintain muscle growth/volume to prevent atrophy in cases of denervation (nerve injury) or when resistance is eliminated (zero gravity enviroments that occurs with astronauts) but it is my understanding that it has not been successful in enhancing muscle growth or bulk.

Electrical stimulation to firm muscles of the face

Unfortunately the answer to this is probably not! There are a lot of things on the internet and late night TV that claim amazing things about tightening the face in minutes. However, the old adage of "if its to good to be true, it probably is" holds when it  comes to electrical stimulation. My best advice is to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough review. I hope this helps

Ritu Chopra, MD

Electrical stimulation to firm facial muscles

A facelift procedurewill give you the most profound results to correct sagging facial muscles and skin. Electrical stimulation cannot reverse sagging subcutaneous fatty tissue and muscles associated with aging. A facelift is designed to successfully restore volume loss back to the face, lift sagging facial tissues and remove excess skin and tissue from the face resulting in a more youthful, rejuvenated facial appearance. There are countless non-invasive treatments on the market promising to tightening loose facial skin and muscles that do not produce results. To truly correct the problem of loose facial muscles and skin a facelift would be the most appropriate approach.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Snake oil

We know that this won't work for you.  If you watch someone with Parkinson's disease they have reduction in their wrinkles because they have less movement but they don't sag because they don't lose tone.  There are plenty of examples of how facial expression increases the lines on the face rather than decreasing them. Facial palsy patients might have their face sag because they have no tone in their muscles of facial expression but they also lose all their "lines".  They show us that muscle activity induces lines.

Firming Facial Muscles

Absolutely not. If you think about muscle activity improving facial tone, given the amount we move our faces based on the daily activities of just talking and eating, we would all have perfect tone!

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation Device

Hi.  Electrical stimulation can not lift a face.  The skin, subcutaneous fatty tissue and muscles of the face sag with aging.  No amount of electrical stimulation can reverse this.  Elcetrical stimulation will just make your facial creases deeper.  Surgery can reverse this and I have seen some nice improvement with Ultherapy (focused ultrasound).  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation for Facelift

Electrical stimulators increase tone in the facial muscles temporarily.  They are usually sold at treatment packages by aestheticians.  Most plastic surgeons do not offer these types of treatments, well, because they don't work other than temporarily at best.

So if you have a social function to go to Saturday and want to see if that will spruce you up, you can give it a try. But if you really want to rejuvenate your face, fillers, facelifts, laser peels are much more effective.

Gilbert Lee, MD

I have seen good results with products like NuFace, but if you are really in need of a facelift, there is no amount of microcurrent that can get you those results.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

You may see firming, but it will not rival the results of a facelift.

To an extent, these machines can prove effective however the effect is temporary. In addition, these results will not be on a par with those of a facelift and should not be considered as an alternative