Will Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles?

What do you think about using an electrical stimulation machine to firm up facial muscles? I'm on a facial exercise regimen - which I'm going to try for 4 mos & I also have a electrical muscle stimulator - which I'm using on my facial muscles - we'll see what happens.

Electrical Stimulation (e-stim) for muscle growth or muscle bulk or as as substitute for resistance exercise

+2

Electrical stimulation has been used to maintain muscle growth/volume to prevent atrophy in cases of denervation (nerve injury) or when resistance is eliminated (zero gravity enviroments that occurs with astronauts) but it is my understanding that it has not been successful in enhancing muscle growth or bulk.

Microcurrent Stimulation

+1
There is no data that supports microcurrent stimulation as a way of reversing the signs of aging in the face.    Your money is better spent on other types of procedures that provide meaningful and measurable improvement. Consult your board certified plastic surgeon to find out more information. 

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Electrical stimulation and your face

+1
Gone are the days of Bruce Lee! Growing up I used to watch Bruce Lee movies and learned of his electro stimulation technique to firm up muscles. These techniques have not been proven to rejuvenate the face however.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electric Stimulation to Firm Facial Muscles

+1
The facial mimetic muscles are amongst the most utilized muscle fibers in the body.  They are fast twitch muscles with a very high nerve to muscle fiber ratio.  Increasing stimulation to these muscles isn't likely to yield any functional or aesthetic benefit fr the average patient.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation

+1

You can try electrical stimulation and facial exercises, but I don't believe it will provide a huge benefit or the desire you may be hoping for.

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

Facial exercises

+1
Although most muscles in the body benefit from exercise and can tone and tighten with exercise or electrical stimulation, the facial muscles are an exception.  We are all familiar with the lines on the face being caused by movement and expression.  Crows feet from smiling, forehead lines from frowning and deepening nasolabial lines from expression.  Even the lines around the mouth are caused from puckering.  Botox smooth and improves the lines by paralyzing muscles and preventing movement.  Exercising or stimulating the muscles of the face can cause lines to become more prominent and deeper while having little tightening effect.

Michelle J. Place, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Will electrical stimulation to help firm facial muscles

+1
 Electrostimulation of the muscles may temporarily help muscle tone, however is not going to give a face lift type effect. A comprehensive face/neck lift will address tightening excess facial and neck skin, tighten loose neck and facial muscles surgically, and remove a fat deposits in the neck. The aging process involves skin, muscle, and fat in the face and neck and that is the reason that a facelift would have a better result. For many examples of face lifting results in our practice, please see the link below

Electric Stimulation and the Aging Process

+1

When your facial muscles become lax the only way to reliably lift them is via surgical facelift and or neck lift. If you are looking for a true lift, other measures are not going to work for a fully corrected result. 

I don't personally believe in stimulators. These machines are often used in rehabilitation of muscles and nerves after injury, but they will not work to reverse sagging of muscles due to aging. Surgery is truly the best way to lift muscles that have sagged. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electrical stimulation and exercises aren’t going to reverse the aging process.

+1

Although electrical stimulation machines are beneficial during physical therapy for healing after injury or trauma, that’s not the same thing as improving muscle looseness that naturally occurs with age. There will always be a marketed alternative to surgery that’s tempting, but unfortunately the ad campaign isn’t necessarily reflective of its efficacy. At this point, the only real solution for improving the major signs of aging through the face and neck is to surgically tighten the muscles and remove excess skin and tissue for smoother contours.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation of Facial Muscles?

+1

Electrical stimulation of facial muscles has a role in physiotherapy or rehabilitation of facial nerve traumas, but will not reverse or prevent facial aging. Although you may comments or ads about the value of this treatment, here is no valid scientific evidence that it will successfully rejuvenate the face. Repetitive muscle stimulation or facial exercises actually add to the development of wrinkles and creases.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns and options for valid rejuvenation procedures, surgical as well as non-surgical, with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon