Will Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles?

What do you think about using an electrical stimulation machine to firm up facial muscles? I'm on a facial exercise regimen - which I'm going to try for 4 mos & I also have a electrical muscle stimulator - which I'm using on my facial muscles - we'll see what happens.

Electrical stimulation to firm muscles of the face

Unfortunately the answer to this is probably not! There are a lot of things on the internet and late night TV that claim amazing things about tightening the face in minutes. However, the old adage of "if its to good to be true, it probably is" holds when it  comes to electrical stimulation. My best advice is to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough review. I hope this helps

465 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Electrical Stimulation (e-stim) for muscle growth or muscle bulk or as as substitute for resistance exercise

Electrical stimulation has been used to maintain muscle growth/volume to prevent atrophy in cases of denervation (nerve injury) or when resistance is eliminated (zero gravity enviroments that occurs with astronauts) but it is my understanding that it has not been successful in enhancing muscle growth or bulk.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Electrical stimulation to help lift the face and firm facial muscles

The verdict is still out on this one. We see patients with facial paralysis and its very obvious that  knocking out facial muscles causes severe droop in the face and around the eyes. Yet we also see muscle hypertrophy as an undesirable aging effect in the forehead, neck and jaw region. I think that eventually we will tailor our treatment plans to selectively train and firm up certain facial muscle groups with electro-stimulation and relax other groups with neuro-modulators to achieve the best results.

Joseph Shvidler, MD
Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

4545 Pt. Fosdick Dr. NW
Gig Harbor, WA 98335

Firming Facial Muscles

Absolutely not. If you think about muscle activity improving facial tone, given the amount we move our faces based on the daily activities of just talking and eating, we would all have perfect tone!

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

230 W Washington Sq
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Electrical Stimulation Device

Hi.  Electrical stimulation can not lift a face.  The skin, subcutaneous fatty tissue and muscles of the face sag with aging.  No amount of electrical stimulation can reverse this.  Elcetrical stimulation will just make your facial creases deeper.  Surgery can reverse this and I have seen some nice improvement with Ultherapy (focused ultrasound).  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

303 W. Lancaster Avenue
Wayne, PA 19087

Electrical Stimulation for Facelift

Electrical stimulators increase tone in the facial muscles temporarily.  They are usually sold at treatment packages by aestheticians.  Most plastic surgeons do not offer these types of treatments, well, because they don't work other than temporarily at best.

So if you have a social function to go to Saturday and want to see if that will spruce you up, you can give it a try. But if you really want to rejuvenate your face, fillers, facelifts, laser peels are much more effective.

Gilbert Lee, MD

11515 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130

I have seen good results with products like NuFace, but if you are really in need of a facelift, there is no amount of microcurrent that can get you those results.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

8929 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

You may see firming, but it will not rival the results of a facelift.

To an extent, these machines can prove effective however the effect is temporary. In addition, these results will not be on a par with those of a facelift and should not be considered as an alternative

Yannis Alexandrides, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

111 Harley Street

Jury is still out

electrical stimulation can help maintain some muscle activity and strength, but not really increase muscle strength. Therefore, its use is somewhat limited. 

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

12221 Merit Dr.
Dallas, TX 75251

Electrical Stimulation

Thank you for your question. The theory of this is that individual muscle cells will be stimulated if the current used is similar to the body’s natural current. The question of whether they can be made firmer is probably misdirected, however. Electrical stimulation is useful in maintaining muscle growth and preventing nerve injury. Yet, it has not been proven that they can have a role in creating firmer muscles.

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

799 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021