Is it effective to get a photofacial while receiving laser hair removal? Are the lasers the same?

I will be receiving laser hair removal and am considering getting a photofacial for sun spots, hyperpigmintation, freckles, fine lines etc. Is it ok to do both as long as I keep them weeks apart? The lasers facilities use seem to sound the same: will both these techniques use similar methods? Should I even need the Photofacial after continuing my laser hair removal? (on face)? thanks!!!

Photofacial and laser hair removal

+1
Way back when....IPL was used to perform photofacials and perform laser hair removal, though the settings and treatment heads were different - creating different wavelengths. So the treatments sound similar, but they are in fact, different. Now, most often we still used IPL for photofacials and other lasers - diode, alexandrite, etc.- for laser hair removal because it's more effective and faster. You can have the treatments done concurrently - sometimes even at the same appointment - because the skin levels being targeted are different. However, sometimes you will get them done separately based on timing. Photofacials are usually done every 3-4 weeks, and depending on where you are having the laser hair removal done, more time may be needed in between so proper hair growth rates are addressed. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Photofacials vs. Laser

+1
Hi DeeDee.  The technology used for a Photofacial (IPL) is not a laser and is very different technology from laser hair removal.  With that said, as long as you keep the appointments separate by a couple weeks, then things should be fine.  You should make both practices aware of what you are doing at the other and get their feedback.  
We use q-switched lasers instead of IPL for sun damage and examples of our before and after pictures can be seen at the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD