Downtime for Juvederm on Nasolabial Folds?

I am set up to do Juvederm in two days in my Nasolabial folds. I'm only 29 but they're really deep and I can't stand it anymore.

After reading up on it, though, I getting kind of nervous. I haven't scheduled any time off of work and have several school functions to attend on Thursday-Saturday following the injections.

Am I being too optimistic that I won't have side effects? Should I plan on downtime?

Juvederm and bruises

+1

With any injection, there is always the potential for a bruise that may last 1 to 2 weeks so you should plan your social events accordingly.  A week before Juvederm injections, avoid alcohol, green tea, vitamin E, fish oils, garlic, Aspirin and Advil which can all cause an increase in bruising.  If you do deveop a bruise, you can use makeup to hide it.

Toronto Dermatologist

Radiesse, Beverly Hills Radiesse, Los Angeles Radiesse, Juvederm

+1

We have used fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse and Sculptra for many years and if you're having Juvederm to the nasolabial folds, you should have very little bruising, swelling or telltale signs after the injections. 

Although bruising is always possible with any needle based therapy like fillers, Botox or Dysport, the smaller molecule fillers like Juvederm and Restylane can be used with smaller needles, making it less likely.  You should look fine that same evening.  You can use some ice therapy to the area after the treatment.  We have used the ticker filler, Perlane to treat the nasolabial folds and have patients attend red carpet events that same evening.

Fillers into nasolabial folds

+1

The nasolabial folds are great areas to have filler placed.  Usually there is very little to no bruising and only moderate swelling.   There is mild to no discomfort for most patients.  Good luck.

Don't risk it; bruising can happen at any time

+1

This is an elective procedure and you have had your condition for a while. It is not worth doing, especially your first treatment, so close to these social functions. Give yourself a week after treatment in which you won’t mind too much if you get significant bruising. But keep in mind that even if you have had this treatment quite often with no bruising, it is possible any time you get a filler, so never schedule it right before an important function. Avoid blood thinners, if possible, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils, garlic supplements, ginko, etc. for at least a week prior to the filler to minimize the chance of bruising.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Downtime for Juvederm on nasolabial folds

+1

The "down time" as a result of such injections varies from person to person. The recovery ranges from no bruising and minimal swelling (essentially no down time) to significant bruising and swelling for 2-5 days. If you have never had filler before, I would advise having your filler placed on a Friday to have the weekend (at least) to recover and not schedule the procedure within 1 week prior to any social engagement. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

No Downtime for Juvederm

+1

You don't need any down time but one out of ten people will get a bruise that takes about 2 weeks to completely resolve. That means if you have any immediate functions coming up in the next week, then post pone your injections.

To minimize the chance of bruising good injection technique and proper patient preparation are essential.

Take a look at my instructions and follow them.

Regards

http://janjuafacialsurgery.com/forms.html

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime of Juvederm in nasolabial folds

+1

It is unlikely that you will need to schedule downtime for this procedure. However, anytime you get an injection, there is always a possibility of getting a bruise. Other side effects are very uncommon especially in the nasolabial fold region. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime for Juvederm on Nasolabial folds?

+1

I THINK what we are talking in cross purposes about is the general vs. the strict definition of "down time".

Providing you do not bruise (must be off Aspirin, Advil and like agents and supplements) and do not mind some swelling you COULD do everything you want to do.

BUT - if your appearance is extremely important (IE photo shoot, filming WITHOUT make up), I would allow for 2-4 days in the unlikely event that bruising or swelling would happen.

Providing you are NOT allergic to Sulfa, nor have ulcers, you may want to ask your doctor to give you Celebrex before and then daily for two days after the treatment to really prevent swelling.

No need to stress over this. This has been done millions of times without any real complications.

I hope this was helpful.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS

Typically, no downtime after getting Juvederm

+1

In most cases, you can resume your normal activities after Juvederm except I don't recommend stenuous physical activity until the next day. Swelling and redness is usually very mild or minimal after the injection. Most of the time there is very little bruising. Occasionally, you can have a bruise which is hard to cover with make-up. Evolence will give less bruising and swelling than Juvederm, if that is a concern.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juverderm needs very little downtime......usually.

+1

Juvederm is considered a "lunchtime treatment" , meaning that you can go back to work after the treatment. However, anytime you get an injection there is always a chance of getting a bruise. Usually this can be covered with makeup however, rarely, the bruise can be severe enough to be a cosmetic issue.

The best way to avoid a bruise is to discontinue any medications that thin the blood for one to two weeks. The most common are aspirin, NSAID's (Motrin, Advil, etc) and Vit E. If your doctor has recommended these medications, always check first to be sure it is OK to stop.

Juvederm can also cause some swelling for the first week or two.

Finally you may not be totally satisfied with the "look" of your treatment. The good part about Juvederm is that it can be quickly reversed. However you would want to wait a few weeks before dissolving the treatment because, if there is swelling, things may look great after a few weeks and it would be a shame to waste the treatment.

I would have the treatment at a time when there is a few weeks before a big event. Most likely, it won't be necessary, but that is the safest way to go.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon