Downtime for Juvederm on Nasolabial Folds?

I am set up to do Juvederm in two days in my Nasolabial folds. I'm only 29 but they're really deep and I can't stand it anymore.

After reading up on it, though, I getting kind of nervous. I haven't scheduled any time off of work and have several school functions to attend on Thursday-Saturday following the injections.

Am I being too optimistic that I won't have side effects? Should I plan on downtime?

Juvederm recovery

+1
Dear Kimberly,
Thanks for your question. The great majority of patients who undergo Juvederm injections quickly return to work and social activities. Most have a little swelling the day after injection but it is usually minimal. With any injection, bruising can occur and with the bruising there may be more than the usual swelling. This bruising can usually be covered up with make-up. If you are not prepared to have any visible bruises or minor swelling at your events then it would be prudent to put off the injections until a long weekend.  Just in case. I hope this helps.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Recovery

+1
Most patients return to normal within a couple hours of the procedure. You'll probably experience some swelling, redness, discomfort and possibly bruising during the first few days following the injection. Most of this settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week. Follow your injector's post care instructions to help your recovery.

What to do after your facial injection:
  1. Extra strength Tylenol is usually adequate to manage any discomfort.
  2. Cool, soft, flexible ice packs may be used (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day.
  3. Keep your head elevated and use several pillows at night to help diminish the swelling.
  4. You can wash with soap and water, and apply make-up, the day after your injection.
  5. Avoid exercising strenuously, going out into the sun, exposing yourself to cold, or drinking alcohol the day of the treatment.
  6. Most patients can return to work the day after the injection. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Juvederm and bruises

+1

With any injection, there is always the potential for a bruise that may last 1 to 2 weeks so you should plan your social events accordingly.  A week before Juvederm injections, avoid alcohol, green tea, vitamin E, fish oils, garlic, Aspirin and Advil which can all cause an increase in bruising.  If you do deveop a bruise, you can use makeup to hide it.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Radiesse, Beverly Hills Radiesse, Los Angeles Radiesse, Juvederm

+1

We have used fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse and Sculptra for many years and if you're having Juvederm to the nasolabial folds, you should have very little bruising, swelling or telltale signs after the injections. 

Although bruising is always possible with any needle based therapy like fillers, Botox or Dysport, the smaller molecule fillers like Juvederm and Restylane can be used with smaller needles, making it less likely.  You should look fine that same evening.  You can use some ice therapy to the area after the treatment.  We have used the ticker filler, Perlane to treat the nasolabial folds and have patients attend red carpet events that same evening.

Fillers into nasolabial folds

+1

The nasolabial folds are great areas to have filler placed.  Usually there is very little to no bruising and only moderate swelling.   There is mild to no discomfort for most patients.  Good luck.

Don't risk it; bruising can happen at any time

+1

This is an elective procedure and you have had your condition for a while. It is not worth doing, especially your first treatment, so close to these social functions. Give yourself a week after treatment in which you won’t mind too much if you get significant bruising. But keep in mind that even if you have had this treatment quite often with no bruising, it is possible any time you get a filler, so never schedule it right before an important function. Avoid blood thinners, if possible, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils, garlic supplements, ginko, etc. for at least a week prior to the filler to minimize the chance of bruising.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Downtime for Juvederm on nasolabial folds

+1

The "down time" as a result of such injections varies from person to person. The recovery ranges from no bruising and minimal swelling (essentially no down time) to significant bruising and swelling for 2-5 days. If you have never had filler before, I would advise having your filler placed on a Friday to have the weekend (at least) to recover and not schedule the procedure within 1 week prior to any social engagement. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

No Downtime for Juvederm

+1

You don't need any down time but one out of ten people will get a bruise that takes about 2 weeks to completely resolve. That means if you have any immediate functions coming up in the next week, then post pone your injections.

To minimize the chance of bruising good injection technique and proper patient preparation are essential.

Take a look at my instructions and follow them.

Regards

http://janjuafacialsurgery.com/forms.html

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime of Juvederm in nasolabial folds

+1

It is unlikely that you will need to schedule downtime for this procedure. However, anytime you get an injection, there is always a possibility of getting a bruise. Other side effects are very uncommon especially in the nasolabial fold region. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime for Juvederm on Nasolabial folds?

+1

I THINK what we are talking in cross purposes about is the general vs. the strict definition of "down time".

Providing you do not bruise (must be off Aspirin, Advil and like agents and supplements) and do not mind some swelling you COULD do everything you want to do.

BUT - if your appearance is extremely important (IE photo shoot, filming WITHOUT make up), I would allow for 2-4 days in the unlikely event that bruising or swelling would happen.

Providing you are NOT allergic to Sulfa, nor have ulcers, you may want to ask your doctor to give you Celebrex before and then daily for two days after the treatment to really prevent swelling.

No need to stress over this. This has been done millions of times without any real complications.

I hope this was helpful.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS