What's the Downtime for Breast Implant Removal and Lift?

I am 54 and have had my Saline Breast Implants for 14 years. I want to remove them. I think I need a Breast Lift because I've gained weight. What's the down time with doing this?

Restrictions, activity, downtime and return to work follow)ing breat impant removal (explantation) and lift (mastopexy

+2

This will take about 3-5 days off of work before returining to a desk job. About 3 weeks before resuminfg low impact exercise and 6 weeks before unrestricted activity and 6-9 months before the breastsassume their long term stable apppearance.

+1
Thank you for the question. Breast implant removal recovery surgery is usually almost painless and associated with a faster return to activities compared to the breast augmentation procedure.  The procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia depending on the circumstances of the specific patient.
What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Take At Least 1 Week Off From School or Work Following Implant Removal & Breast Lift

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to require breast lift surgery at the time of breast implant removal.  This combination not only addresses problem implants, but also improves breast aesthetics as well.

It’s important to remember that recovery varies from patient to patient.  We generally recommend taking one week off from school and work following the procedure, but many patients are able to return sooner.  Strenuous activity should be avoided for at least 4 to 6 weeks following surgery.

Patients are typically given narcotic pain relievers for four to five days following surgery.  They are then usually switched to double strength Tylenol.  It’s important to have an adequate support system available in the post-operative period.

Patients are required to wear a specialized support bra for three weeks and a sports bra for an additional three months.  It’s important to remember that complete healing takes at least a year.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from lift after implant removal

+1

The recovery of a lfit varies but most people can go back to desk work within a week or so.  Exercise or heavy lifting will need to put off for several weeks more.

Recovery time

+1

Recovery after surgery happens in phases with the initial phase being most important. That phase involves the first few days where you may not be able to do all your daily activities. Each patient is different and each surgery has different recovery timeline. For breast implant removal and lift the typically initial recovery phase before you return to daily activities and light duty work such as driving to work and doing desk work is about 3-5 days. Discuss your specific situation with your surgeon before having surgery.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Recovery after breast implant removal and breast lift

+1

It surprises most patients that recovery after a breast lift is easier than after breast augmentation.  Recovery time for simply removing an implant is quite quick, patients are able to drive a car and return to work in 1-2 days.  If a breast lift is performed at the same time,  the recovery time is still quite quick, may be 2-3 days for some mild activities.  Of course returning to the gym should be postponed for 7-10 days.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting

+1

Dear Tryingsohard

Recovery from surgery is quite variable from surgeon to surgeon and patient to patient. With optimal nutrition and supplements as well as good pain control- we have our patients back to their normal activities in 24 to 48 hours. Your energy level may not be completely normal for one week.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD