Breast Implant Removal Without the Outrageous Cost?

My right breast implant has ruptured for the second time. I want to have them both removed, but do not want to pay the $2500 it will cost for the surgery. I was wanting to deflate/ rupture the left implant myself with a sterilized needle. I understand that surgical removal is most likely advisable, but is there any other option to having both implants gone without paying the outrageous cost?

Implant Rupture

+1

I agree that you SHOULD NOT deflate the implant yourself.  Ask your surgeon to check into the stipend from the implant company that is used to go back to the operating room (usually $1200 and sometimes $2400).  If you are not eligible for the stipend than discuss having this performed under local anesthesia with your surgeon.  If you try to deflate your implant with a needle, you can cause MORE PROBLEMS for yourself.

Implant removal

+1

The fee for removal of implants will vary. I owuld not recommend deflating your implants on your own, there is great risk to that.

Low cost breast implant removal (explantation)

+1

Your original surgeon could likely remove your implants under local anesthesia for a lower cost or you could consider a plastic surgery residency training program.

DO NOT REMOVE breast implants by yourself.

+1

Please DO NOT attempt this. You may cause bleeding or a deep infection if you start sticking needles into your breast. Although there is a cost to removing the implants, the cost is for a service and level of sterility and quality to protect you.

Doing this on your own will NOT turn out well and can create serious problems such as blood collections, deep infections, or severe scarring.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Do It Yourself Explantation. Please don't do it.

+1

I read your article and empathize with your frustration. Given that you like your surgeon, I'd approach him one more time and ask wha$t warranty, if any, still exists on your 5 year old right deflated implant. If your implant was placed in 2004 and if it was manufactured either by Mentor (Johnson & Johnson) or Natrelle (Allergan), there may be some financial assistance available. I encourage all my saline implant patients to buy "extended warranty" for a one time charge of $100.00, you can get life time coverage.

The rates of deflation of saline implants are 1-3% per 10 years. Unfortunately you've experienced this twice. Can you identify any factors which make you more susceptible to deflation? Some of my policewomen, firewomen and sherrifs insist on saline implants because their occupations predispose them to greater chest trauma.

Speak with your surgeon. If you have confidence that you are better off without, then explant under local anesthesia. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Can sometimes be done with local anesthesia

+1

Every case is different but it is pobble that your plastic surgeon may be able to perform this under local anesthesia which should decrease the costs. If the implant has deflated and it is under manufacturer's warranty, there should be a monetary part as well, possibly $1,200 (but you need to check with your plastic surgeon and implant manufacturer. Take care. Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS