Double Chin Even Though I'm Very Slim?

I have a double chin it's not terrible but bothers me on pics of me from the side. I am 25 and a slim size 6-8 so I know it's not from being over weight. I think it's probably genetic as my mum has the same thing. What is the best treatment options for this

Chin Liposuction

Look at the attachment for a photo of a young person with limited liposuction of the chin. Sometimes, a a small change can make a big (but natural looking) difference.
Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.
There is also a significant population of patients who have excess fat and mildly loose skin. With these patients, we always include laser skin tightening and skin rejuvenation of some kind. This will help with both minimal laxity and skin texture.
Liposuction is the most commonly performed cosmetic surgical procedure in the US. Often, it is performed by physicians who are not board-certified plastic surgeons, many of whom have absolutely no surgical training.  Safety considerations are important for all surgeries. Be sure that the physician you select to perform this procedure has hospital privileges, and has the ability to admit you to a hospital in the event of a complication. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck treatments reviewed

Thanks for sharing. In general current neck rejuvenation treatments include:
  1. Surgical Neck lift* with a lower facelift would be the gold standard and gets the best results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and/or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient. A platysmaplasty can be added for further muscle tightening
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
  6. Botox to the platysma bands to decrease their show
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

At your age you likely only need minor treatment such as liposuction / laser lipolysis. Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck rejuvenation to discuss your options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Double Chin Treatments

Hi Jo0309,

Thank you for submitting your question. I would love to see a photograph or two to address your unique anatomy. You’re right, genetics can play a bigger role in a double chin than age or weight. I see many patients in their 20s with similar concerns in my San Francisco office. The great news is there are several options to help you look your best.

A non-surgical chin augmentation can add projection to the chin/jawline minimizing the appearance of a double-chin. By carefully placing dermal filler (like Juvederm Voluma) to the chin and jawline, the area underneath the chin is smoother. This treatment is performed in-office in about 20 minutes. The results are immediate and there is little-to-no downtime. I like to see patients back in about two weeks from their initial treatment to assess their progress and see if we can finesse their results. Patients often choose this treatment based on the recovery time over traditional surgical methods. The results are natural and predictable. I like to use Juvederm Voluma for non-surgical chin augmentation because it’s consistency adds volume and structure. Since it’s a Hyaluronic Acid, the substance is reversible, offering you ultimate control over your treatment results.

Liposuction to the area can also be beneficial. This can also be combined with non-surgical chin augmentation.

Lastly, a chin implant with or without liposuction can also be helpful. This procedure would be performed under general anesthesia in a hospital setting.

The best way to determine what would work best for you is by scheduling an in-person consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon.  

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin From Fat Accumulation Around the Neck

Double chin deformities commonly result from fat accumulation in the neck. In many cases, this fat accumulation is related to weight gain, while in other cases it may be related to inherited genetic tendencies. This fat typically doesn’t respond to diet and exercise and for this reason liposuction is the treatment of choice in most cases.

Tumescent liposuction of the neck is a relatively simple procedure that involves infusing tumescent fluid into the subcutaneous tissue of the neck. This fluid has epinephrine which minimizes bleeding and lidocaine which is a local anesthetic. A cannula which is attached to suction is then passed through the tissue removing fat and sculpting the area. After surgery, patients wear a compressive chin strap for several weeks.

The procedure results in significant contour improvement and is associated with high satisfaction rates. If you’re considering neck liposuction, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for your problem. 

Slim person and double chin

It is likely genetic and at your age liposuction may be a reasonable option. Check with a plastic surgeon in your area.

Los Angeles chin and neck liposuction

Genetics play a large role in double chin formation.  I would recommend a chin liposuction procedure to contour the neck, chin, and jawline. Most patients undergo this procedure under tumescent liposuction. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Double Chin Though Thin

This appearance could be from anatomic issues that have nothing to do with fat in the area.  However, if you have supraplatysmal fat, chin liposuction may be a reasonable help in your situation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Double chin despite being slim

Even though you are very slim there can still be fatty deposits located in the neck above and below the platysmal muscle.  This is known as subplatysmal fat.  A neck lift would treat both of these stubborn fatty deposits by surgically removing them and tightening the platysma, also known as a platysmaplasty.  This will give a much more defined jaw line.  There are multiple examples of patients similar to this on our neck lift photo gallery for you to review.

Double chin problem

Thin people may have a double chin because they have a genetic ( hereditary ) tendency for this problem. This can be even if an individual eats sensibly. The problem can only be corrected by submental liposuction. This is a simple procedure that takes 15 minutes under local xylocaine anesthesia. It is important to wear a strap for a few months after suctioning to help support the area while healing. The number of fat cells is finite in this area so if you continue to eat properly the results are permanent.

Chin Lipo

Photos and an in-person consultation a key to developing a plan. You have age in your favor and likely would have a nice result with Lipo alone given your description. Consider posting some photos of your lower face and neck. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS