How to Correct Dog Ears After Tummy Tuck?

I had a  Tummy Tuck 5 years ago. The scar healed very well and is very low, but I have dog ears on both sides. Is there a way to correct this?

Very common, easy to fix dog ears in the office as a minor procedure

+5

"Dog ears" are very common after abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), so do not fret. I estimate maybe as many as 20% of all patients that undergo tummy tuck will end up with some degree of one on at least one side.

Some dog ears are simply puckers in the skin that only require reopening a portion of the "scar" and excising the loose skin, and some have residual underlying fullness that needs liposuction touch up to improve the shape.

Oftentimes, it is some of both. I wait until 6 months after a tummy tuck to determine if there is one present, and if so, will usually correct them as an office procedure under simple local anesthesia.

With some xylocaine in the office, touch up liposuction and excision of dog ears can be easily performed with a rapid recovery.

I hope this helps!

Cutting them out is the best

+3

Fixing dog ears is best done by just removing them and extending the scar on either side which what would have avoided them in the first place. You can liposuction them to decrease the amount of the scar you have to have. It all depends on how big the dog ears are. If they are very small and easily concealed, then no treatment may be an option. If they are moderate in size, then cutting them out is the choice. If they are large, then a combination of lipo and removal would be the ideal. Discuss this with your surgeon and go over all your options.

Small dog ears usually corrected under local

+2

Dog ears which are small can usually be corrected by a procedure which can be done under local either in the operating room or even in a treatment room. If there are bulges not just a little excess skin then liposuction of the area may be done as well.

I would recommend you discuss this with your original surgeon-- most surgeons will fix dogears with out any additional charge if they did the original surgery . Otherwise, there may a fee for a new surgeon to fix the dogears.

Excision and localized liposuction can help dog ears after Tummy Tuck

+2

Dog ears after tummy tuck can be corrected but the scars will be longer and extended out toward the flank or hip. Occaisionally excess fat causes the dog ear to be more noticeable and in these cases liposuction can help flatten the dog ear.

+1
Dog ears occur from time to time after a tummy tuck.  They can be treated in multiple ways including liposuction, or directly cutting them out with local anesthesia use.  This can even be done in the office and not require a return to the operating room.  Most likely they will be cut out and this is a simple and safe procedure.

Dog Ears, I always liked that term

+1

After a Tummy tuck or lipo you can get corrective surgery to loose the dog ears and fix any other slight imperfections that might have been caused by the procedure. Dog ears should not be part of the prosedure results but nontheless can happen.

Web reference: http://vanitymiami.com/tummy-tuck-miami/

How To Fix Dog Ears After A Tummy Tuck

+1

Dog ears are a term given to excess skin and fat persisting at the outside edges of the tummy tuck scar after an abdominoplasty.  All plastic surgeons get these at times, and they are easy to fix. 

Dog ears can be fixed by extending the abdominoplasty scar and possibly with some minor liposuction.  This can be done in an office setting under local.  Very often, these are caused by the best and most aggressive surgeons who take out that extra bit of skin.  Five years after surgery, this should be an easy fix with minimal downtime and quick recovery.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Dog Ears after Tummy Tuck

+1

Dog Ears are easily fixed after a tummy tuck by either liposuction or by excising the small areas of skin. This can be done in the office with local anesthesia as a minor procedure. It is not uncommon to have a small fold of skin where the tummy tuck incision has ended lateral on the hip. Sometimes the skin fold continues past the incision and will need to be excised.

"Dog ears" after tummy tucks, and its treatment

+1

It is preferable to avoid dog ears formation by carefylly design and execute abdominoplasty in most of candidates. However occasionally excess skin present itself as "dog ears" at the either end of the incision. This deformity could be addressed immediately in the operating room by extendind the incision slended upward and more laterally. In case of becoming concern sometime after surgery or due to significant weight loss, a secondary operation may become advisable. 

Web reference: http://www.mahjouricosmeticsurgery.com

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Dog Ears correction with Tummy Tuck Revision Surgery

+1

Tummy tuck Dog Ears are caused by redundant skin folds over the flanks. If the tummy tuck scar is not extended adequately over the hips, dog ears can result. This tummy tuck complication can be fixed with a tummy tuck revision. I also incorporate liposuction of the flanks during revision tummy tuck surgery.

Web reference: http://www.anewfigure.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.