How to Correct Dog Ears After Tummy Tuck?

I had a  Tummy Tuck 5 years ago. The scar healed very well and is very low, but I have dog ears on both sides. Is there a way to correct this?

Very common, easy to fix dog ears in the office as a minor procedure

+7

"Dog ears" are very common after abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), so do not fret. I estimate maybe as many as 20% of all patients that undergo tummy tuck will end up with some degree of one on at least one side.

Some dog ears are simply puckers in the skin that only require reopening a portion of the "scar" and excising the loose skin, and some have residual underlying fullness that needs liposuction touch up to improve the shape.

Oftentimes, it is some of both. I wait until 6 months after a tummy tuck to determine if there is one present, and if so, will usually correct them as an office procedure under simple local anesthesia.

With some xylocaine in the office, touch up liposuction and excision of dog ears can be easily performed with a rapid recovery.

I hope this helps!

Cutting them out is the best

+3

Fixing dog ears is best done by just removing them and extending the scar on either side which what would have avoided them in the first place. You can liposuction them to decrease the amount of the scar you have to have. It all depends on how big the dog ears are. If they are very small and easily concealed, then no treatment may be an option. If they are moderate in size, then cutting them out is the choice. If they are large, then a combination of lipo and removal would be the ideal. Discuss this with your surgeon and go over all your options.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Small dog ears usually corrected under local

+2

Dog ears which are small can usually be corrected by a procedure which can be done under local either in the operating room or even in a treatment room. If there are bulges not just a little excess skin then liposuction of the area may be done as well.

I would recommend you discuss this with your original surgeon-- most surgeons will fix dogears with out any additional charge if they did the original surgery . Otherwise, there may a fee for a new surgeon to fix the dogears.

Susan E. Downey, MD

Excision and localized liposuction can help dog ears after Tummy Tuck

+2

Dog ears after tummy tuck can be corrected but the scars will be longer and extended out toward the flank or hip. Occaisionally excess fat causes the dog ear to be more noticeable and in these cases liposuction can help flatten the dog ear.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Dog Ears Following Tummy Tuck: What Can Be Done

+1

Dog ears are abnormal bulges of tissue that typically occur along the ends of surgical incisions.  This problem occurs for a variety of reasons, including discrepancies in length of the opposing wound borders and wound closures around curved contours.

Dog ears can occasionally be seen following abdominoplasty surgery.  When this occurs secondary surgery may be necessary.  In most cases this involves a simple excision of the dog ear under local anesthesia.  In other cases where the dog ear is large and extends posteriorly towards the back, correction may require extension of the incision in a posterior direction.  In some cases where an abnormal roll of tissue is present, this incision may extend to the midline of the back.

Although every effort is made to avoid dog ears during the primary surgical procedure, this complication is occasionally unavoidable.  When the situation arises it’s important to discuss your options with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Dog ears after tummy tuck

+1
Dog ears occasionally happen after a tummy tuck.  Most plastic surgeons will correct them in the office under local anesthesia at minimal cost to the patient.  They occur because we often flex the patient at the waist as we close the skin and as the patient stretches the central portion of the abdominal skin small areas of excess skin or "dog ears" result on the sides of the incision.  

Susan D. Vasko, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1
Dog ears occur from time to time after a tummy tuck.  They can be treated in multiple ways including liposuction, or directly cutting them out with local anesthesia use.  This can even be done in the office and not require a return to the operating room.  Most likely they will be cut out and this is a simple and safe procedure.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Dog Ears, I always liked that term

+1

After a Tummy tuck or lipo you can get corrective surgery to loose the dog ears and fix any other slight imperfections that might have been caused by the procedure. Dog ears should not be part of the prosedure results but nontheless can happen.

Jonathan Fisher, MD

How To Fix Dog Ears After A Tummy Tuck

+1

Dog ears are a term given to excess skin and fat persisting at the outside edges of the tummy tuck scar after an abdominoplasty.  All plastic surgeons get these at times, and they are easy to fix. 

Dog ears can be fixed by extending the abdominoplasty scar and possibly with some minor liposuction.  This can be done in an office setting under local.  Very often, these are caused by the best and most aggressive surgeons who take out that extra bit of skin.  Five years after surgery, this should be an easy fix with minimal downtime and quick recovery.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Dog Ears after Tummy Tuck

+1

Dog Ears are easily fixed after a tummy tuck by either liposuction or by excising the small areas of skin. This can be done in the office with local anesthesia as a minor procedure. It is not uncommon to have a small fold of skin where the tummy tuck incision has ended lateral on the hip. Sometimes the skin fold continues past the incision and will need to be excised.

Stanley Castor, MD