Intercourse After Tummy Tuck

I was advised to wait 4 weeks (30 days) since my Tummy Tuck surgery to have an intercourse. I didn't listen and engaged in sexual activity within the first week. I now have a seroma with has blood in it, which has been drained thrice. Is it possible that I may have broken my sutures in my abdomen? If so will I need a corrective surgery?

Intercourse after surgery

+10

It's not possible to answer your question directly. Without an office visit and examination anything that we might tell you now would be guessing. What I can tell you is that there are reasons behind each of the post-op 'rules' and guidelines we give to patients. They're usually pretty standard rules from one office to the next, and waiting for several weeks after abdominoplasty surgery is one of the standard 'rules' that most of us relay to our patients. We're not telling you these things to punish you, make you uncomfortable or to ruin your lovelife! The guidelines are there to protect you and your health.

An abdominoplasty is considered to be fairly major surgery and is probably one of the toughest recoveries of all the procedures I do. It's important to keep your heart rate and blood pressure down for 3-weeks post-op, not to stretch the incision site and not to lift anything that would cause stress on the incision. Ignoring whatever post-op guidelines your surgeon gave you probably put you at risk for complications. Whether the complications are the kind that would require corrective surgery would take a solid medical evaluation.

It's a tough lesson to learn, but hopefully sharing your story will help someone else avoid the same mistake. Good luck!

Sex after tummy tuck surgery

+10

Tummy tuck is a major operation combining 3 or 4 different proceedures and in my O.R the patients have drains in place for 7 to 10 days post op. Intercourse during that time would be extremely ill advised. I advise my patients to wait about 4 weeks when things have settled down surgically -and emotionally.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Sex after tummy tuck safe with care

+9

This question does come up from time to time concerning tummy tuck, and other cosmetic procedures as well. One could say there are "rules" to follow, though rules are meant to be broken. It is best to think of what makes sense and what is comfortable to you. The seroma may not be your fault and may have occurred anyway. A seroma is the most frequent complication seen after tummy tuck and therefore drains are often used by some surgeons, and compression to help reduce the risk.

In our office we rarely use a drain for tummy tuck and there are techniques during the procedure which make this possible. On an occasion that a seroma does develop a small seroma drain can be placed and left for several days until the seroma has resolved. We prefer this to the several aspirations of the seroma in the office. Seromas do resolve and you should not fear that you have ruined your result. You should slow your activity and allow yourself time to heal or the seroma may recur, or infection set in.

Concerning sex after a tummy tuck good common sense prevails and four weeks "rest" after makes good sense, especially now that you have a seroma to resolve. The four weeks is a guideline that is very flexible though. Sexual activity that is comfortable and relaxing can be just fine. Adjust your approach, listen to your body with a consideration for quiet healing and you should be fine.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+4

I advise my patients to wait a minimum of 4 weeks post-operative before intercourse. I would be impossible for me to answer you questions without performing an evaluation. For those looking to this site for advice, please follow your Surgeon's orders following any type of procedure. Best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Intercourse After Tummy Tuck

+3

A waiting period should be 4 – 6 weeks before sexual activity.  Sexual activity can cause a tachycardies and subsequent bleeding and seromas.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Intercourse After A Tummy Tuck- Use Good Judgement

+2

A tummy tuck is a rather extensive surgical procedure with surgery being performed on many layers of the abdominal wall. Because of that, level of activity after surgery must be carefully monitored and appropriately suited for the weeks during recovery. If one is too active too early a fluid collection can certainly develop. Treatment of it and the possible effects of too early activity are best addressed during an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.lorenc.com/abdominoplasty-tummy-tuck/

When can you have sex after tummy tuck!

+2

I recommend patients to refrain from heavy physical activity and sex until after two weeks or until they feel that they have the stamina. Obviously, it all depends on the extent of physical activity and sex! You should not strain yourself for at least 2-4 weeks.

Web reference: http://www.anewfigure.com

Intercourse After Tummy Tuck

+2

A safe time period would be about 4 weeks and I would say proceed with caution.  This activity will increase the heart rate and this can cause bleeding and subsequent seromas.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/abdominoplasty.html

Intercourse After Tummy Tuck

+1
Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific information/advice. He/she knows exactly what was done and how you are progressing. Concerns would include an increase in heart rate and the potential for bleeding.  Muscle spasm may be painful. Obviously, significant pressure on the surgical site is not a good idea either. It is not uncommon for patients to report increased swelling that occurs after vigorous exercise (including sexual activity),  even several months after tummy tuck surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Activity after a tummy tuck

+1

While a physical exam will provide more information, I always tell patients to wait 4-6 weeks after the procedure before undergoing any strenuous activity. Strenuous activity in the early post op period can lead to hematoma, seromas, and tearing of the repair of the diastasis rectus abdominus correction.

Staten Island Plastic Surgeon