Does Liposuction Make You Lose Weight?

I am thinking about having liposuction around my stomach, lovehandles and thighs. Will I lose weight or just get a bit smaller? Overall, I am happy with my figure, but I have always had an extra 20 pounds that I haven't been able to lose through diet or exercise. Will liposuction accomplish this?

Weight lost VS Contouring

Funny thing about fat. It occupies a large volume in our skin but it doesn't weigh very much! The maximum amount of fat that can be removed legally at one surgery is 5 Liters! This represents buckets of fat yet it only weighs about 11 pounds, even though the patient may now look like they have lost 60 pounds or more!

Why? Because their contour is so effectively improved. Although liposuction is not a weight loss strategy, it can certainly result in patients attaining a sculpted shape they could never attain with weight loss alone.
It certainly works for conquering those stubborn fat areas that don't slim down with concentrated diet and exercise. 

Liposuction and weight loss

Liposuction is designed for pockets of stubborn fat and is not a method of weight loss. For this reason, it won't "make you lose weight" but rather recontour your body for a leaner, smoother profile. You should approach the surgery as a way to eliminate unwanted fat pockets instead of just to lose weight.

Having said this however, many patients do lose weight after surgery not because of the surgery, but because they love their results and want to maintain them. As a result they typically follow a healthier lifestyle which is why they lose weight. 

Liposuction is not for weight loss

Liposuction is for targeted fat loss to improve contour. It is not designed for weight loss and can make your appearance worse if you are outside of your ideal bodyweight.

Liposuction will not change your weight significantly. Liposuction can also increase the amount of loose skin in patients that are above their ideal bodyweight.

Does liposuction Help You Loose Weight?

Liposuction is used to contour your body and not act as a tool to lose weight. The best results from lipocution are usually seen when the patient is already at or close to their ideal body weight. However, once a patient's contours have improved significantly they are often motivated to lose additional weight so in that context liposuction does contribute to weight loss.

The best candidate for liposuction is a patient who is at or near their ideal body weight. Liposuction is used to contour and sculpt  rather than as a tool for weight loss. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Does Liposuction Make You Lose Weight?

Liposuction is designed to treat areas of stubborn fat and is not a means of weight loss. It is a method to recontour the body and treat localized areas of stubborn fat deposits. Some common locations for treatment include the abdomen, flanks, thighs, neck, and arm. Best, Dr. Khorasani

Hooman Khorasani, MD

Liposuction for contouring, not weight loss

Thank you for your question. I generally view liposuction as a means to contour the body. If you are very stable in your weight and specific areas of concern, then liposuction can help you work towards your goal. A consultation/exam would be needed to provide more specifics. On the other hand, if you are looking for liposuction to provide you with weight loss, then this is the wrong reason. Although you may drop a few pounds with liposuction, you can do this much more effectively through a medically managed weight program. In our practice, we do offer pre-surgical weight management options to help our patients achieve a stable and goal weight before embarking on their surgical body contouring goals. It allow for a better and safer overall outcome.

Won't make you lose 20 lbs

Liposuction won't help you lose 20 pounds, as the amount you will lose will just be a couple of pounds at most. Liposuction is just to recontour the body, not to make you lose weight. You'll look better, but you won't see a significant different on the scale.

Does liposuction make you lose weight?

Liposuction is not a weight loss method. It is a body contouring procedure.  It works best for patients who have localized areas of fat that can be improved upon with liposuction.  Some patients will see a small amount of weight loss but it is not normally more than 5-7 pounds.  In your case, I believe you could see a difference in your contour and a moderate weight loss.  Many patients see  a difference and are inspired to lose more weight through diet and exercise.

Can you loose weight with liposuction?

It is definitely possible and expected for a person to loose weight after liposuction, especially after large volume liposuction.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS