Does Liposuction Make You Lose Weight?

I am thinking about having liposuction around my stomach, lovehandles and thighs. Will I lose weight or just get a bit smaller? Overall, I am happy with my figure, but I have always had an extra 20 pounds that I haven't been able to lose through diet or exercise. Will liposuction accomplish this?

Weight lost VS Contouring

Funny thing about fat. It occupies a large volume in our skin but it doesn't weigh very much! The maximum amount of fat that can be removed legally at one surgery is 5 Liters! This represents buckets of fat yet it only weighs about 11 pounds, even though the patient may now look like they have lost 60 pounds or more!

Why? Because their contour is so effectively improved. Although liposuction is not a weight loss strategy, it can certainly result in patients attaining a sculpted shape they could never attain with weight loss alone.
It certainly works for conquering those stubborn fat areas that don't slim down with concentrated diet and exercise. 

Liposuction and weight loss

Liposuction is designed for pockets of stubborn fat and is not a method of weight loss. For this reason, it won't "make you lose weight" but rather recontour your body for a leaner, smoother profile. You should approach the surgery as a way to eliminate unwanted fat pockets instead of just to lose weight.

Having said this however, many patients do lose weight after surgery not because of the surgery, but because they love their results and want to maintain them. As a result they typically follow a healthier lifestyle which is why they lose weight. 

Liposuction is not for weight loss

Liposuction is for targeted fat loss to improve contour. It is not designed for weight loss and can make your appearance worse if you are outside of your ideal bodyweight.

Liposuction will not change your weight significantly. Liposuction can also increase the amount of loose skin in patients that are above their ideal bodyweight.

Won't make you lose 20 lbs

Liposuction won't help you lose 20 pounds, as the amount you will lose will just be a couple of pounds at most. Liposuction is just to recontour the body, not to make you lose weight. You'll look better, but you won't see a significant different on the scale.

Does liposuction make you lose weight?

Liposuction is not a weight loss method. It is a body contouring procedure.  It works best for patients who have localized areas of fat that can be improved upon with liposuction.  Some patients will see a small amount of weight loss but it is not normally more than 5-7 pounds.  In your case, I believe you could see a difference in your contour and a moderate weight loss.  Many patients see  a difference and are inspired to lose more weight through diet and exercise.

Can you loose weight with liposuction?

It is definitely possible and expected for a person to loose weight after liposuction, especially after large volume liposuction.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Liposuction is a body contouring technique

Safe liposuction involves removal of no more than 10 pounds of fat at a single operation.  But liposuction is designed as a body contouring rather than weight loss technique that therefore is not a substitute for diet and exercise when it comes to maintaining your long term stable body weight.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Weight Loss

Liposuction is not recommended or designed as a weight loss treatment.  Liposuction effects the volume of the areas being treated and helps to contour problem areas of the body.  Weight loss after liposuction will improve your results, but liposuction should not be thought of as a weight loss alternative.  It is recommended that you be at a stable weight prior to your surgery for optimal and lasting results.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Liposuction is Not a Weight Loss Procedure; It Is Performed to Fix Localized Fat Deposits

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.  The procedure is performed to fix localized fat deposits which adversely impact body contour.  These fat collections may be located in a variety of locations including the abdomen, hips, thighs, flanks and arms to name a few.  In many cases these areas don’t respond to diet and exercise.
When liposuction is performed, it’s unusual for this procedure to result in weight loss greater than one or two lbs.  Despite this, even when patients are twenty lbs overweight, liposuction can result in improved body contour and high satisfaction rates.
When weight loss is the primary goal, a weight loss program would be appropriate.  Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be a helpful first step.  This consultation, would look at all the options and determine which one is best for you.

Does liposuction make you lose weight.

The answer is you will unequivocally lose weight with liposuction. For every 450 grams of fat reduced you lose one pound. However some of the liposuction weight is blood that will be replaced and is fluid that has been instilled prior to liposuction to aid in fat removal. So for every 450 gms of suctionate removed you actually lose less than a pound since it is not all fat. 

That being said, liposuction is not designed as a weight loss tool. It is designed to improve contour and reduce clothes size or make clothes fit better. 

Weight loss is best accomplished by diet and exercise without question. If you need to lose 20 pounds, liposuction is not the answer in my opinion. 

Jay Burns, MD