Do Doctors Usually Refuse Your Request for a Nose Job?

So, I have really been considering getting a nose job for a long time now. I consider my nose to be crooked/leaning to one side, it has a bump in the middle, and I would like to have the length reduced. Do doctors usually deny the patient surgery if he/she thinks its not that bad? because I would really like to get these things fixed, but they might not be considered dramatic problems.

Circumstances when a doctor will deny a patient a nose job

+1

If the patient has enough issues with the nose that can be improved with elective surgery, has realistic expectations, and is emotionally and physically ready for the surgery, then it is acceptable to undergo the rhinoplasty procedure.  On occasion when a patient has medical or psychological issues, a surgeon will deny the patient surgery if they do not think the patient is fit to undergo the procedure.

+1

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeons do turn people away and decline to perform surgery, including Rhinoplasty, for a variety of reasons which include unrealistic expectations and others.  If you're interested in improving the shape of your nose, have several consultation to learn about what can and can't be done to your nose and then decide.  Be sure that the Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose. 

Web reference: http://www.thepalmercodeinstitute.com

Request for nose job

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.  Perhaps the surgeon may feel that the problem is not as severe as you perceive to be

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Not every patient that requests Rhinoplasty Surgery is a candidate for surgery.

+1

Based on your verbiage, you may be a candidate for nose job surgery. Feel free to repost your question with photos.

I may avoid performing nose job surgery for the following reasons:

1) I may not feel comfortable performing the operation.

2)The risks of surgery do not outweigh a non-surgical approach.

3) The patient would be a better candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty.

4) The patient has unrealistic expectations.

5) A parent, spouse or significant-other is against surgery.

6) I sense the patient may not be happy after surgery.

That being said, most patients with crooked long noses that have bumps are candidates for Rhinoplasty surgery. You may wish to get a second opinion from another reputable, experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Web reference: http://naturalrhinoplasty.net/#20146

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty issues

+1

I think the first thing you should do is go for a consultation. If the surgeon thinks that he can improve your nasal issues then he will probably suggest surgical options to achieve your goals.  Good luck.

Good candidates for rhinoplasty

+1

Most patients who we see for rhinoplasty are good candidates for the procedure.  These are typically people who are in good health, have realistic expectations, and do not have significant risk factors for complications.  People who would not be acceptable candidates are those who have expectations that would not be achievable through the surgery or are over critical of minor deformities and obsess over them.  Certainly anyone who is in poor health and is at risk for severe complications would be excluded from surgery.  Patients who have certain mental health problems are also not  candidates for cosmetic surgery.  

From your own description of what you want to accomplish it would appear that you meet all the requirements for being a good candidate for rhinoplasty.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

It depends

+1

Not everyone is a good candidate for a rhinoplasty. The #1 ethos is to do no harm. So if you have medical problems that would make an cosmetic elective surgery risky then it is not worth it in my opinion. I only recommend surgery if the patient seems to understand and accept the limitations of the procedure. The more minimal the changes desired, the less likely the patient's needs the surgery or will be happy with the result. Ultimately if a patient has reasonable expectations then it should be able to be done. Preoperative imaging can help to make sure you and your surgeon have the same thought process in mind.  

Refused for rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to find that you are not a good condidate for rhinoplasty. If a surgeon can't see what troubles you, and can't understand how to meet your expectation then he is best to turn you down.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

A subtle rhinoplasty makes a big improvement in the face.

+1

Hi.

Definitely see a couple of plastic surgeons.  Rhinoplasty often makes a  nice difference even if your nose is not terrible.  You will only be turned down if you have expectations that  cannot be met, and you do not sound like that.

Rhinoplasty Patient and Doctor Selection

+1

Jen

Based on your description, you sound like a good candidate for a rhinoplasty - however photographs would be very helpful.  There are several reasons why a good plastic surgeon might refuse to perform a rhinoplasty.  The patient's age is important - some surgeons just don't feel comfortable with younger patients.  The severity of the deformity is another reason - if the deformities are minor a doctor may recommend against a rhinoplasty.  The patient's emotional state or stability - the rhinoplasty surgeon my feel the patient has unrealistic expectations or is emotionally unstable.  Finally, not all facial plastic surgeons or plastic surgeons are comfortable performing rhinoplasty.  In my experience, there are only a few of us who really enjoy, specialize and make rhinoplasty a major part of our practice.  If you have not done so already, consider getting a second opinion.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon