If a Doctor Says They Are a Platinum Injector, What Does That Mean?

I have no one to recommend a doc to me and would like to plump my lips with juvederm. The most I can do is read reviews online, but these reviews could have been written by ANYONE ... including the place being reviewed.

I have found a doctor that touts being a "Platinum Injector" ... which sounds like he has done the procedure a lot and that I should be at ease that this fact should state his expertise. Also, he is doing a special of $375. Is this a red flag?

Platinum Injector

+2

The key to finding the right person to do your injection is to ask the doctor what their training background is and what they are board certified in (dermatology or plastic surgery or family medicine, internal medicine, anesthesia, ob-gyn, etc ).

Then, ask do they do the injections themselves or will these be done by nurses, medical assistants, estheticians, etc. Ask how many have they done personally (tens, hundreds, thousands) and have they had any serious complications and if so what were they.

These are questions you should always ask no matter what the treatment is fillers, Botox, surgery, etc. In summary, ask 1. How many of these procedures do you do personally 2. what are the risks of the procedure 3. do you have any patients I can talk to or any photos or your patients so I can see of your personal work. Then price won't be the determining factor. Good luck.

Boulder Dermatologist

Is being a platinum injector enough to choose a physician?

+2

There are other reasons to pick a doctor to inject your fillers other than how much they do it. You should have someone treat you by asking what your desires are and not force upon you what they think they should do to your face. You should have a mirror to look at your face before the treatment to point out your dislikes and then view the results as they evolve. Remember, you can always add more at another visit but if too much is put in, it may not be readily removed.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Platinum status reflects Botox volume

+2

Juvederm and Botox are products of Allergan. The company has different levels based on the number of vials of Botox purchased. They have other tiers for Juvederm boxes bought. In general, it means the doctor uses a lot of product and should be good at doing the procedure. I'd make sure they are board certified in an appropriate specialty as well.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Platinum Injector is Based on Volume

+2

A Platinum Provider for Allergan is a status based on the number of Allergan products ordered per year (Botox, Juvederm, Prevage, Vivite, etc.). It is generally a sign of a higher volume practice but obviously not a guarantee of quality. I would still ask to see pictures of results and follow your gut feeling about the Doctor.

$375 for a syringe of Juvederm is really cheap! Cosmetic practics are getting busier in 2010 and you are unlikely to see these prices for long.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Platinum injector is usually someone who has purchased a lot of that product

+2

As a rule, the more product you purchase, then the higher award you are given by that company. Having said that, the more you purchase can also mean the more you are injecting so you get a lot of experience injecting patients which is good. The award is not related to expertise or quality of work but more to quantity of work. Sometimes they are the same and sometimes they are not. Good Luck,

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Results From Botox

+1
There are several levels of Botox Providers, I think they start at Silver, then gold, diamond, and finally the top providers are Black Diamond.  These levels are currently not based just on Botox, but also other Allergan products.  We are very proud of the Black Diamond status my practice has achieved.
You might try finding a different plastic surgery or dermatology practice in your area that performs a lot of Botox. By going to the Botox Cosmetic Website you can find the top provider of Botox in your area. The top providers will be listed in order. You can check exclusively in your zip code, or check in a 10 mile radius

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Platinum Injector

+1

Allergan has a program based on the amount of product that is sold.  Platinum is very high, and does suggest considerable amount of purchase of Allergan products (including possibly juvederm, botox, latisse, breast implants, and skin care).  You do not know solely from this status the doctor's usage of the variety of Allergan products. It definitely does not reflect expertise.  Note: We have platinum status as well.

The relationship that you will have with your injector tends to be long term.  Do not rush the decision, and do not base it solely on price. Instead, consult with 2 -3 injectors in your area, and choose the one that best fits your needs.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Platinum level is based on Allergan purchases

+1

Allergan, the makers of Juvederm, Botox, Vivite, Latisse, and Breast implants, have a loyalty program based on points.  They products are quite good BTW.  The Doctor gets points for each purchase they make.  This program attempts to keep the Doctor from going to another product made by another company.  Good volume can be a good sign.  Like anything else it is important to really research who is putting the material in you.  Ask about their qualifications and training.  Ask about how many they do, and how long they have been doing it.  Ask to see before/after photos.  What happens if there is an untoward event?   It is OK to have a few consults before making up your mind. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Platinum Juvederm Injector

+1
I am a platinum Juvederm Injector and this is certainly something I have never advertised. This is simply a plaque and title the company gives you because you purchase a large volume of the product. With that said as I am a solo practitioner it means that I use a large volume of Juvederm which equates to a lot of experience with the product and happy patients. I prefer to stand on my reputation and my skills then a title given by a manufacturer. I would consult several physicians offices and look at their before and after photographs and find someone you feel comfortable with. I would not base any decision making on price or red tag specials!

Michael Elam, MD

Platinum Injector

+1

Companies that manufacture and sell products will sometimes give a designation to a doctor who purchases a large supply from them. In no way should this designation imply that this doctor achieves superior results. In addition, a doctor who advertises himself as being superior and offers a “special” at a very low price should come with a caution sign. Do not be fooled by advertising and low-cost specials. Be careful!

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon