I Have Leiden Factor V Blood Clotting Disorder. Is a Breast Lift Safe?

I am getting ready to wean my second child and breastfeeding has ruined the look of my breasts. My breasts grew to a size 36E during pregnancy and my once perky 34C's are now very stretched out and droopy. They look great in a bra, but I hate them without a bra. I would love to get a breast lift, but am concerned because I have Factor V. During pregnancy I was on Lovenox twice daily. I am wondering if it is safe to get a breast lift with this disorder. Thanks!

I Have Leiden Factor V Blood Clotting Disorder. Is a Breast Lift Safe

+1

I would encourage you to speak with your hematologist. Assuming, as is likely, that you are a heterozygote, your clotting risk is somewhat higher than a non-Leiden patient. Although the clotting risk gets much higher with advancing age, it is modestly increased for younger patients, perhaps the same order of magnitude as for patients taking oral contraceptives. 

If your hematologist and surgeon agree to proceed, another brief course of  Lovenox may be prescribed. All the best. 

Leiden Factor V Blood Clotting and breast lift surgery.

+1

I would highly encourage you to have your elective breast lift surgery cleared by your hematologist. The hematologist can recommend the safest regimen of anticoagulants for your surgery.  With the Leiden Factor V clotting disorder,  I would suspect that lovenox or heparin pre-operatively and lovenox daily for 7-10 days after surgery would provide you with a safer surgery.

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Clotting Disorder and Breast Lifting?

+1

Your question is best answered by a well experienced hematologist  after a full workup is performed. Generally speaking, it is very likely that you will be able to undergo surgery once this worker is completed. Your hematologist may have specific perioperative recommendations to help prevent thrombosis.