How Can I Diminish This Scar from Previous Mole Removal? (photo)

Can anyone give me advice on what to use for this scar that formed after I had a mole removed from my chest? The scar tissue has flattened some from what it was, but as you can see is still very reddish pink and not completely smooth. Any ideas?

Scar removal treatment for mole removal scars

+1

This mole removal scar can be improved by simple reexcision; or as an alternative to scar removal treatment...fractional co2 laser to resurface the textural changes. 

Treatment of scars from previous mole removal

+1

You have what is called a hypertrophic scar (not a keloid) which is commonly seen on the chest because of the way this area frequently heals from minor surgical procedures. Any form of surgical intervention now would be a mistake because of the risk of causing a bigger scar. Intralesional cortisone injections done by a board certified dermatologist would be your best and safest treatment at this time. There is minimal risk and should help to flatten the scar nicely.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Kenalog injections help fade scars nicely.

+1

Injecting the bump with kenalog or using hybrisil topically are 2 things that work good for scars to help fade them.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Options

+1

JeffE - Have you seen the doctor that first did your procedure? It could be a keloid scar but it is hard to tell by the photo. I would have a doctor examine it in person. Treatments could include steroid injections. 

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar

+1

While it is difficult to say without properly evaluating this in real life, you describe a keloid or hypertrophic scar.  Generally, this is removed and steroid injections are placed at the time of removal and shortly thereafter to help flatten it.  Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that it will not recur.

Kimberly Lee, MD