Can Diastasis Recti Cause Pain Without a Hernia?

I have diastasis recti following pregnancy (2 1/2 years ago). It has worsened over time and I experience a soreness/pain in my abdomen that feels like bruising. I went to my PCP who sent me to see a general surgeon. She said I don't have a hernia, just go on a diet and do sit-ups. Needless to say I'm seeking a second opinion, this time from a plastic surgeon. Is it possible to have pain without a hernia or did the first surgeon just miss it in her very very brief examination?

Rectus diastasis can be a cause of back pain and abdominal wall pain

It is absolutely possible to have discomfort in the abdominal wall from rectus diastasis without a true hernia. Separation of the rectus muscles in the midline can cause dysfunction of the whole abdominal wall. The fascia between the rectus muscles can stretch so that the muscles pull apart from each other and are no longer anchored together in the midline. When this is the case, the rectus muscles are not held out to the proper length and are not in the proper position to work well. Not only will this cause dysfunction of the recti, but all the other "core" abdominal muscles wrap around from the back and end in the outside border of the rectus. If the rectus is lying out to the side, none of these muscles is held to the proper length. Stress on the stretched fascia such as during exercise can cause pain. Inadequate core strength and stability from abdominal muscle malposition can also put strain on the back leading to back pain.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon