Deviated Septum Surgery? What to Expect?

In March, I am going to be getting my deviated septum fixed. I just got a couple questions about this surgery... -Is it normal to get the surgery at 17 years old? Does it hurt more when you are younger, or older? - I got 2 bumps in each nostril (which makes it hard to breathe), is this normal? I have only had these since June, they keep getting bigger. - Does this surgery hurt? -How does this procedure go? -Are there any pro cautions I should take before and after my surgery?

What to expect after septoplasty

+1

Hello Eriny_99, It is fairly common to have septoplasty in late teenage years or later. It doesn't really hurt any more or less the older you are. The pain is usually more of an aching feeling for most people. I normally prescribe a narcotic pain medication for after surgery, though not everyone uses it.

Check out my web reference link below to learn more about septoplasty surgery.

Septoplasty for repair of deviated septum

+1

It is normal to have this procedure when your diagnosis calls for repair of the deviated septum. I perform septoplasty on many male patients starting from 16 to 70. I find there is a higher frequency in the male population of deviated septum's due to sports and other activities where injuries may occur.  Septoplasty surgery has minimal pain associated with it. You will have a tender nose for a few weeks and will be asked to restrain heavy physical activity for three weeks. Your surgeon should discuss all the precautions with you at your preoperative appointment. These will include staying away from aspirin and aspirin containing compounds, vitamins and herbal remedies which may increase your risk of bleeding. Smoking also delays wound healing. These are just a few of the precautions to help a speedy recovery. Best regards, Michael 

V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD