Deviated Septum Prior and Now a Slightly Broken Nose. Is It Time to Fix This? Worried About Risks.

Years ago, my dentist suspected that I had a deviated septum but I just left it.And just recently,I broke my nose and was referred to a specialist.My breathing is not too bad,but if I take a deep breath through my nose it feels like my nostrils get sucked in.I've always hated the bridge of my nose but I'm afraid to have surgery on my face, plus I just had a breast augmentation about a year ago and I'm afraid to have another surgery so soon.Judging by my picture,is it worth the risk?

Deviated septum and nasal fracture

+2

You appear to have a few things going on that are very reasonable to improve with a septo-rhinoplasty. Your bridge can be addressed as well as your external deviation and nasal obstruction. A complete nasal examination will allow for a better assessment of what needs to be done.

Consult with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon who can perform preoperative digital morphing. This will allow you to give your input of what changes you'd like made and allow your surgeon to give you a better sense of what changes are possible.

Deviated Septum ,Broken Nose and Difficulty Breathing - Risk of Fixing It?

+2

You are definitely a candidate for a septorhinoplasty with minimal resection of you nasal tip cartilage.  The septoplasty will treat your deviated septum and fix some of your breathingdifficulties.  Cartilage strut grafts should be place in the alare valves to prevent further valve collapse.  You should have little risk if performed by an experience boarded rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty

+2

Your posted photos show an S-shaped septal deviation, obvious nasal valve collapse (that is why the nostrils collapse), notching of the right nostril rim and a dorsal hump. I suspect there is more here than just a broken nose. These S-shaped deviations are harder to treat than the C-shaped or oblique deviations because the cartilage is distorted more and has some shape memory.

I suspect you would benefit from take down of the hump, sidewall osteotomies to close the resulting open roof, septoplasty with shaping suture to straighten the septum and cartilage grafts to keep the valves open so they do not collapse on inspiration and to reduce the nostril rim notching. There are probably other issues such as narrow nostril floors that cannot be fully discerned by these few limited photos in the absence of a physical examination.

Make sure you see more than one surgeon in consultation and that any surgeon you see does a complete nasal examination before proceeding.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Deviated septum and broken nose

+2
It is hard to evaluate your breathing problems via Internet however from your photographs and history it appears you would benefit from a septorhinoplasty which would fix both the breathing problems that may need to be addressed as well as the aesthetic issues. Rhinoplasty surgery is fairly risk free. I have been doing rhiinoplasty, septorhinoplasty and septoplasty surgery for nearly 30 years and have seen little to no complications. The procedure when done with a skilled surgeon is a very highly effective procedure with extremely great results and a high propensity for full patient satisfaction. Having Breast Augmentation recently has no effect and many patients do these procedures in conjunction with each other. Seek a highly skilled rhinoplasty surgeon, look at their before and afters and make sure they are what you consider aesthetically pleasing. Speak with the surgeons patients who have recently undergone the same surgery and discuss their experience. I would also suggest going to a surgeon who has a digital imaging computer which I use during the consulting phase this allows you to see the proposed surgical results and make sure you and the surgeon are on the same page. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty, including Septoplasty for well over 20 years and IMHO, a Septoplasty isn't done just because the nasal septum is deviated.  It's done to improve nasal breathing.  Sucking in the nostrils, with a deep breath, is not a breathing issue and can be done by anyone with or without a septal deviation so IMO, don't have a Septoplasty because of that.

From the photos, a Rhinoplasty could address the external appearance of the nose, if this is an issue for you.  The nasal bones are crooked (pushed to the left), there's a dorsal hump and the nasal tip is a bit wide.  All of which could be dealt with during a closed Rhinoplasty but only if you're interested in doing so and there should be no pressure on your part to have the surgery.

Healthy individuals having general anesthetic shouldn't be an issue.  Closed Rhinoplasty typically can be done in a little over 1 hour and the fact that you had a general anesthetic a year ago, for Breast Augmentation, shouldn't be an issue...unless you had some specific problem with the anesthesia.

Deviated Septum and Broken Nose

+2

It seems like you would benefit from nasal surgery for functional reasons, to improve the breathing through your nose and any aesthetic concerns, if you desire.  You need to seek out a board certified specialist who can address the underlying anatomy to address the nasal collapse and improve your nasal breathing.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Septum should be addressed as the same time as Rhinoplasty

+2

If you are planning on a rhinoplasty, specifically a reduction rhinoplasty (reducing the hump or deprojecting the tip) I would recommend addressing a deviated septum as well.  Even if you currently had minimal symptoms changing the shape of your nose can exacerbate any nasal obstruction from a deviated septum.  Also, sometimes cartilage grafts are needed during a rhinoplasty and your septal cartilage is a great source.  So besides improving your breathing the septum may be needed for your rhinoplasty.  I hope this helps.  

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump and tip.

+2

There is almost no risk of serious problems with a rhinoplasty. Over the past 35 years I have never had an infection, bleeding, etc. I tell patients that I'm more afraid of what they will do to injure the nose. You should have an excellent result with the removal of the hump, etc. if you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Risk

+2

If you feel the need, I would proceed with a complete septo-rhinoplasty. There is good reason to expect your ihnsurance to participate in the airway part of the surgery. Find a good  experienced surgeon

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Go for it!

+2

You have several characteristics that make you a good candidate. 1)A high bridge of nose--you will like the new contour!  2)Round/bulous tip that can be refined and reshaped 3) Septoplasty is often part of rhinoplasty and breathing better will improve your quality of life greatly.

Don't hesitate base upon another surgery a year ago. This will have no negative effect.

The only item that is more difficult is getting the nose perfectly straight...it will definitely be straighter, however, it is not uncommon for your tissues to have a bit of a "memory"  resulting in a small amount of residual deviation.

Good Luck!

Reginald Rice, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon